Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My rotary cutter causing my back problems, ugh! >

My rotary cutter causing my back problems, ugh!

My rotary cutter causing my back problems, ugh!

Old 09-07-2013, 08:33 PM

Default My rotary cutter causing my back problems, ugh!

I have been noticing that on the days that I am able to sew my back starts spasming. So to test my theory I used sisscors to do my cutting instead of my rotary blade cutter. Seems the pushing motion is aggreviating it. (sorry I can't spell today) Anyone have any tips for me on how to position my body so this doesn't happen???
Old 09-07-2013, 08:42 PM

Could it be the height of your cutting table? I had a similar problem. My shoulders would burn after cutting for awhile. Then my son in law made me a higher cutting table and it helped a lot.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:33 PM

I put 5" bed risers under my kitchen table for major cutting jobs. Keeps both my wrist and back from crinkling up.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Power Poster

I agree that the height of the cutting table is very important. Some people prefer to sit while using the rotary cutter. You might try that out. Also be sure your blade is sharp and your mat is in good shape so you don't have to press as hard.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:25 PM

Highering a table may help or learning to cut sitting down. Have you also tried the rotary cutter set with a bend for ease on cutting. The cutting slicer may also help. Have a look around or if your son in law is so helpful train him to cut he fabric for you.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:21 AM

I bought that new ironing board cabinet that JoAnn's had on sale last month. It's just a couple on inches higher than the table that I have allways used for cutting. Used the cabinet one day to cut a bunch of material and I could tell the difference in my back. So I'm going to get some kind of risers put under my table.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:37 AM

Get an anti fatigue mat to put on the floor in front of your cutting table. This has really helped me. I got mine at Meijer and it is the thick black one that you can put in your kitchen. I also have one that I got at Menards that is about 5 feet long and it is on the floor in front of my ironing board. The height of your cutting table is also important.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

I have shoulder problems and too much rotary cutting can be painful. I space my cutting with sewing and ironing. There are other cutting systems that might help. There are the rulers that have a rail that the rotary cutter rides in to prevent slipping so you don't have to press as hard. Definitely check to see if raising or lowering your cutting surface helps.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:20 AM

http://generationqmagazine.com/2011/...e-stitchy-set/

Good article about just this topic.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:38 AM

I also agree that I believe the problem is the height of your cutting table. I have read that the best height for cutting is no higher or lower than 3" below your elbow.