Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Rowenta Iron Caught Fire!!! >

My Rowenta Iron Caught Fire!!!

My Rowenta Iron Caught Fire!!!

Old 10-27-2012, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts View Post
You are the only other person I have ever seen that has a Tfal. I have had 2 both are still working just fine. My first one my daughter has because her cat knocked it off my ironing board and the point got messed up. I bought another when I moved. I love it, works well, doesn't leak as long as I let it heat up enough, has a auto turn off , although it is plugged into a strip that gets turned off went I leave the room . I have never had any problems with it and would buy another in a heartbeat.
I have two TFals and I love them. Haven't had any problems with either of them and together, they cost less than one Rowenta. I strongly recommend TFal.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:54 PM

Please call consumer products safety. They will investigate with Rowenta
Old 10-29-2012, 05:47 AM

Yes, mine smelled horrible like an electrical fire and set off all the smoke alarms in the entire house. I did not see any flames or smoke, just the stench. I now have a professional gravity fed iron that should last me for the rest of my life. And not endanger my life!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:21 AM

My friend in Lincoln had a "self turning off" iron, and after ironing in the morning, they both left for work...iron didn't turn off, did $80,000 damage to their home... not to mention the personal items...MESS...and being put out of the house for months for the remodel...
Old 10-29-2012, 12:28 PM

I just returned my 2nd Rowenta for bad leaking ... through the handle and out the power cord hole. Both of them did that. The 1st one did it within 30 days of getting the iron, the 2nd one I had for about 6 months. Fortunately Kohl's did an exchange, even 6 months later. If this one does it too, I will return and buy something else. I love the Rowenta for the weight and all those wonderful steam holes, but don't want the problems. The fire issue scares me.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:02 PM

I am also wondering why an iron would be worth over $100. What are the special features that make it so valuable?
Old 10-29-2012, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by captlynhall View Post
I could be missing something, but I always buy cheap, less than $25 irons, and they last for years and years. In fact, I usually throw them out because I have scratched the bottom plate too badly. They always give me enough steam for ironing. I am surprised when I see an iron costing $100. Are these things gold plated?
Not gold-plated. I have found in my circles, a status symbol... just saying... I have a Rowenta but now am scared to use it for fear of fire. So I just use a Black & Decker... cheap and no problems so far...
Old 10-29-2012, 05:50 PM

I bought a Rowenta with a coupon a few years back. I started leaking within a week. Then the whole front part of the handle started coming apart. I, too, called Rowenta and was "blown off". I ordered a B&D older travel iron from Ebay. It has been a great iron. It's lightweight with a pointy nose and stainless steel plate that cleans up great. I rarely use steam, but if I do need it, I have a B&D steam iron that I use in the house. BUT, I recently decided that I needed a steam iron in the shed, so I bought another B&D......the steam didn't work well and the temperature didn't hold. It got so hot I burned a spot on my ironing board and scorched the fabric I was ironing. It also scorched the plate of the iron. I think it is probably a quality control problem in China, or wherever they are made!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:21 AM

Bettyboop could you please give us a link for checking to see what models of Rowenta irons have had problems? As stated before, I've just replaced my 10 year old Rowenta steam generating iron with a DG8430 Pro Steam Station. And the answer to ptquilts and quiltjoey is - no not gold plated and not a status symbol for me 'cause the station never leaves my ironing room. It never leaks and a burst of steam (it has 400 steam holes) will actually lift the iron off the ironing surface.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:29 AM

Since there are so many reports about Rowenta, obviously there is a problem. If you have had a fire or overheating problem please report it to the Consumer Product Safety. Safety is the issue and nothing will be done unless it is forced upon the company. Anecdotal information is not enough. If you have had an issue with Rowenta, go online to the Consumer Product Safety and make a report. "I did not find any reports of Rowenta irons having problems." (recalls)

It doesn't seem to be a specific model, but an overall engineering problem. Call the company if you are having problems with your iron. Mention the quilting board. I think they will get the idea that their best prospects for new irons are very unhappy with the quality of this product. Do you belong to other forums? of course you do. Ask about other peoples' experiences with the iron. Let's get the word out.

I loved my Rowenta iron. I never had an iron that performed as well. Unfortunately, it is not a safe product. I don't want anyone to be injured or lose their home to fire.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/rowenta.html
114 rowenta irons reported with problems, but this is not an official report.

http://www.saferproducts.gov/Search/...nta+iron&srt=0
Rowenta irons catching fire...no recalls

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prerel.html
Consumer product safety, Make your reports here.

Last edited by bettyboop32953; 10-30-2012 at 05:47 AM. Reason: additional information