Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My sewing maching is so loud! >

My sewing maching is so loud!

My sewing maching is so loud!

Old 04-05-2015, 06:24 PM
Auj

Default My sewing maching is so loud!

I have a Huskystar 224 which I really like, but it is sewing very loudly. I took it in for cleaning and service, but it really hasn't helped the noise issue. Has anyone else has a similar issue? Is there anything I can do to get it to sew more quietly like it used to do?

Audrey
Old 04-05-2015, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

Have you asked the place where you got it serviced? I would take the machine back and tell them that you don't understand why the machine is still so noisy.

I once took my Bernina in for cleaning and service and I don't think the technician did much of anything (except charge over $100!). When I got it home, I realized he had not reset the upper tension to factory setting -- which I assume is necessary if you are really checking into the stitch quality and timing of the machine. It makes me wonder if your service person actually lubed and oiled the moving parts. Typically the parts that get oiled are where metal meets metal; the parts that get lubrication are the gears. Newer machines have sealed bearings that never need oil. I don't know what exactly your machine needs in terms of oiling and lubrication. It is simply my suspicion that the service tech didn't do a thorough job. Machines do get noisier with wear and tear, but I wouldn't think that would happen within the period of time your machine has been in existence.

My best guess.........
Old 04-05-2015, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

It should be better after being serviced. My Bernina gets a little noisy if it is time to put a drop of oil on the bobbin hook. My machine is noisier on the table then it is on my built in desk. The more solid the surface you sit your machine on, the quieter it will be.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:07 PM

Have you changed sewing surfaces?? Were you previously sewing on a table with some type of sound deadening and now you are not? Would putting some type of rubberized mat; quilted mat help with the noise if all other issues were addressed when serviced?
Old 04-05-2015, 09:26 PM

I had a problem with my machine being noisy, took to repair, they said that my bobbin case wasn't properly seated, they "seated it" and it is less noisy. they also said it could use a little oil as tartan said.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:03 AM
Auj

Thanks for the suggestions. I have not changed sewing surfaces, so that isn't it. My shop changed owners and the new owner is the one who serviced it. I took it back just a week after the service to have him address the noise issue. It had been noisy before and that is why I took it in. He kept it overnight and said he had found the problem. It was a bit quieter, but is noisy again. (It has been two or three months now.)

I think I will try to vacuum it out, replace the needle, oil a bit, and see what happens. Wish me luck!
Old 04-08-2015, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

I put my Bernina on a scrap of carpet and it makes less noise than before.