Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My sewing room-finally! >

My sewing room-finally!

My sewing room-finally!

Old 07-27-2014, 09:52 AM

Default My sewing room-finally!

Howdy everyone!This is my first thread- so here goes! We finally built a 24x24 garage and put my sewing room(same size) above it. 1st, I painted 12" blocks all the way around the room at the ceiling edge, making each block a different quilt pattern. Above the doors and windows,there wasn't room for a 12" block so I painted a panel showing 4 patch on point, flying geese, or the center of the double wedding rings. Kinda like my own Dear Jane! I used my paints from ceramics because of the many shades and then put a clear sealant over the top- so if it gets dirty, it can be washed.I painted the walls, and installed a wood floor.
Next I acquired a HUGE bookshelf,desk and 4 drawers unit. The 2 row bookshelf holds all my quilt books and my scrap bins. The desk top will hold my serger. My husband created drawer dividers for each of the 4-20"x20"x10" drawers.Each drawer can be divided into 1/2, 1/3, or 1/4 sections-which holds lots of material.
This week, we purchased 10 drawer sections @ an auction. Each drawer section had 2 drawers that are 20"x20"x8". 2 of the drawer sections had drawers 10" deep. We repainted both the metal and the pressed board parts, hobbled 2 sets together, and installed a 3/4" varnished wood top. This is now the perfect size for window seats or benches. On the 2 sets of drawers that were deeper, My husband built a wood frame under 1 set to make it the same height as the other sets-complete with the wood top. The last set, we added the hard wood top and put it beneath the tv entertainment center.In the event that I actually have more relatives then beds, these drawer sections can be moved together and another bed is created. I purchased slabs of 4" foam for the top of the benches and am currently making cushion covers.
My husband thinks I will have more material room than I need and won't have enough material to fill the drawers. Such a silly man! If he only knew how much was squirreled away! I can't wait to finish getting my sewing machines,cutting tables & everything else moved in, set up & ready to go. Nothing is going into that room til it has a home. I am even taking care of my scraps by sorting or cutting into the sizes needed or wanted before those are in the new room. My husband thinks it will take another 20 years before it is used the way it should be. My planning has taken me 15 years, as the garage was the last to be built. Then,only 5 years to get this far!(1 year just to draw & paint my dear jane squares) So I think I'm on the down hill slide to being done and I'm so excited I'm sure it won't take me 20 years! So.....Again-----such a silly man!
I really wish that I had the capabilities to take pictures,upload and include with this! Because I am more proud than a puffed peacock! So............. if you're in the neighborhood-stop in- and you can see it for yourself! Thanks for letting me brag!
Old 07-27-2014, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

It sounds lovely! Wish I could see it.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:02 AM

My dear, if you have the patience to wait 5 years for a room and then take a whole year to paint quilt squares around the top of it, you can learn how to post pics for the rest of us to admire your work! Get out the camera girlfirend! Congrats on an awesome room, you can start using it, and take some time to enjoy, those little pieces can wait to get organized.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

No fair, you tell us to stop in and see it, but we don't know where you are. You might be right next door!

Congrats on the wonderful space, now don't be afraid to use it.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:42 AM

Howdy Dunster! I live in Valley Springs, SD. It is just a couple of BIG stitches southeast of you. However, when you come out to see Mt Rushmore I am only 460 miles away!! ha.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:42 AM

Ooo, it sounds really special. Would love to see it.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:27 AM

Sounds absolutely wonderful! I agree with Linda. If you can take 5 years to design and paint your space, put together cabinets and shelving, you CAN learn to take and post pictures so the rest of us can drool over your wonderful sewing room.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Use your phone and email yourself the pictures. Just click on the picture in your email and select copy. Paste in a post. it's done.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:41 PM

Hire a photographer, or call a quilting magazine and they will film it for all of us. Please, please.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:38 AM
Power Poster

Congrats...can't wait till you get pics