Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: My UFO--need border ideas

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    847
    Here's the quilt I've been working on for over 12 months :oops: :oops:
    I just don't have much time or feel well often enough to work on it alot, much to my DD impatience...lol.
    The lighter green on the sides is the backing folded to the front to keep the batting etc from catching while I'm freemotion-ing.
    It has to end up king sized and right now its about 76" square.
    I haven't decided what type of border(s) to make.
    Any ideas?
    [IMG]http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...t/f9457511.jpg[/IMG]

  2. #2
    Super Member Ditter43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Crystal River Florida
    Posts
    9,466
    Why not use the fabrics in the quilt for the border? Of coarse there are all kind of complicated border designs, but I personally don't think that quilt needs it. You are going to have to add big borders to make it big enough for a king size!!I am sure your DD will love it regardless of how it's done! Hope you feel better....

    Ditter

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43
    ... You are going to have to add big borders to make it big enough for a king size!!
    Ditter
    Yes but that's what she wanted. She wanted the design to sit on top of the mattress, not hang over the sides.
    I wasn't going to make a pillow tuck, just matching pillowcases, but since it's already 76" long if I put a wide border(s) on top it'll push the star down past the foot of the bed and she won't like that.
    She also wants it to be square so she can throw it on the bed without worrying which way is up, so I'll have to make all the borders the same width.
    So I guess it'll be getting a pillowtuck after all.
    It already has a 3" border of the dark solid green that you can just glimpse here and there.
    I've got a mental block right now about the borders. :|
    My SIL is Greek American so I toyed with the idea of Greek key border but I couldn't decide if it'd go with the star center?

    And thank you for wishing I feel better soon. I appreciate it!

  4. #4
    Senior Member quazyquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central Vermont
    Posts
    375
    Blog Entries
    1
    what would it be like if you put one skinny border on top and then just use strips of wide borders on the sides...that way, you keep the pattern in the center where you want it , but you have the length and the width on the sides where you need it. Does this make sense?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by quazyquilter
    what would it be like if you put one skinny border on top and then just use strips of wide borders on the sides...that way, you keep the pattern in the center where you want it , but you have the length and the width on the sides where you need it. Does this make sense?
    Yes but she wouldn't like it. I'd like to do that but, as I said, she wants it to be square which means all 4 sides will have to have the same border(s). :?

  6. #6
    RatherB Quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    Posts
    947
    Geez, she's fussy isn't she...:)
    I have a feathered star pattern that uses "marvelous mountains" for borders. They echo the feather part of the star. That might work?

  7. #7
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    12,948
    Blog Entries
    1
    I would put a star border around it. You can adjust the size of the stars to come out the size they "need" to be, and I agree that the backing fabric is a beautiful background for the border.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
    Geez, she's fussy isn't she...:)
    I have a feathered star pattern that uses "marvelous mountains" for borders. They echo the feather part of the star. That might work?
    Yes she is fussy...takes after her father, I guess :-D
    As for the borders you mentioned "marvelous mountains". Is that the same as "delectable mountains"? That's a possibility I hadn't thought of.
    Thanks

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    ... and I agree that the backing fabric is a beautiful background for the border.
    Oh I don't have enough of the backing to use in the front of the borders too. lol

  10. #10
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    12,948
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric-holic
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    ... and I agree that the backing fabric is a beautiful background for the border.
    Oh I don't have enough of the backing to use in the front of the borders too. lol
    Well, you could "borrow" some for the front and do some back art. Or get another fabric that goes with it and "patch" your backing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.