Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Viking Quilt Designer II needs major repairs >

My Viking Quilt Designer II needs major repairs

My Viking Quilt Designer II needs major repairs

Old 12-02-2014, 06:31 AM

I had a thought. The problem is the step-motor for the feed dogs. The feed dogs are disengaged when the embroidery attachment is in place. I wonder if it will still embroidery!

I don't know if I can go get the machine today. Will probably be Friday or Saturday before I can get it and try that.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:03 AM

I would want to know exactly what the $500 is for and how much of it is labor. I want to find someone to clean and check my QDII, and all I have close by is a shop that will take the machine for an unspecified time and have a technician that I will never meet work on it "when he can get to it." My being there is absolutely verboten. It's like the great Oz. And as long as stuff is mysterious and behind the curtain, it's easy to quote a price.

I'll bet there's another solution for yours.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 12-02-2014, 07:45 AM

He told me the details of the total cost, I just can't remember them all. I know the step-motor was a little over $200 and then $199 for the labor. I think the other part of the cost was a tune-up. I'll get the details when I pick it up.

There is another shop not far away that will do free estimates. I will take the machine there after the holidays. It's located in a big shopping center and I don't want to deal with the traffic this time of year.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:12 AM

I was able to go get the machine during lunch time. The total is $509 - $129 for standard tuneup, $170 for labor on replacing the feed dog step motor and $210 for the part.

I asked for a copy of the estimate notes and was told I could not have a copy. That people would then take it somewhere else to get it done cheaper. Okay, I understand that if I had not just paid $25 for diagnostic. Oh well.

In a bit I will see if the embroidery unit will work at this point.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:50 AM

ARRGGHHHH!!!
I went to see if the embroidery would work and it will not power up! I tried a different electrical outlet. Still no luck. I called and she said "well the repair isn't here today". Okay, fine. I can't bring it back today anyway. So I'll spend another hour on Friday or Saturday taking it back over there. I expected it to at least work the way it did when I left it!
Old 12-02-2014, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatPitter View Post
ARRGGHHHH!!!
I went to see if the embroidery would work and it will not power up! I tried a different electrical outlet. Still no luck. I called and she said "well the repair isn't here today". Okay, fine. I can't bring it back today anyway. So I'll spend another hour on Friday or Saturday taking it back over there. I expected it to at least work the way it did when I left it!
OMG. Unbelievable!
Old 12-02-2014, 12:51 PM

The repair *guy* isn't here today. Oops.

I am so upset. When I take it back, I'm going to insist that I not be put in the back of the line to have it looked at. Hopefully it just he forgot to hook something back up when he put it back together.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:54 PM

ARRGGHHHH!!!
Make sure they aren't going to charge you AGAIN for putting it back the way it way it was when you left it!

I think I'd be looking for a new dealer even if you have to drive a lot farther.

Have you contacted Husqvarna directly? Even good companies produce the occasional lemon .....
Old 12-03-2014, 05:20 AM

I asked for a copy of the estimate notes and was told I could not have a copy. That people would then take it somewhere else to get it done cheaper. Okay, I understand that if I had not just paid $25 for diagnostic.
Because they can't remember the numbers without the paper? Well, you certainly did.

i think you definitely need to talk with another shop.

if nothing else works out, you can probably sell the accessories and D cards in a flash. A lot of people, myself included, weren't on the online forums to know the changes going on at Viking. And your machine has value to a dealer for parts, I'd think.

i really hope you can fix it. I love mine.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 12-03-2014, 05:24 AM

Check out QVC or HSN. They have different machines available. You can buy them on flex pay and pay over 4-5-6 months instead of all at once. Also if you don't like the machine you can send it back. They have a 30 day return for any reason. BUT this time of year you have until Jan 30 to send it back. I bought 2 of my machines this way. Also they have larger accessory packages they include in the complete package you get for no extra charge. Just a thought.