My wife and I were sitting in the living room watching the Nature Channel when she turned to me and said, Will you please do me a favor and do not get any candy, flowers or a card for Valentine's Day for me?"
Being the dutiful husband that I am, I agreed to honor her request. What I didn't say anything about, though, was the road trip I was going to take her on yesterday:
1. Headed into Lancaster County, PA for breakfast at our favorite morning meal restaurant.
2. Went to a local variety store where they happen to sell fabrics at very reasonable prices -- they serve the Amish and Mennonite communities with their goods.
3. Then it was off to a little one-man operated store where he sells the absolutely best smoked pork items I have ever had -- spent way too much there (yum.)
4. Off again, this time into Intercourse, PA, and two more fabric shops.
5. Then off to yet another grocery store to stock up on our favorite foods from that area (yes, I grew up in that area.)
6. Of course, another stop to yet another fabric store --- wait, actually two more shops.
7. Then a 1 1/2 hour drive back home.
Once home I cooked a meal of smoked pork chops, wax beans and handmade noodles. I then cleaned up for us.
Well, I think she made out far better than flowers, candy and a card.
Oh yes, did I say that we spent hours talking about all kinds of stuff, but nothing that related to any stressful situations (like work - college kids - work -- college kids bills --- did I mention work?
You see, it doesn't take much to make her happy -- just do everything she loves doing and surprise her by taking her.
Terry -- in Northern Delaware
P.S. I didn't forget about me. We went into two thrift shops and in one of them I found a pristine Singer Model 600 in its original carrying case ... and it looked like it was never used! That was the best $8 I have spent in a long time on a machine.