Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My year of living dangerously

My year of living dangerously

Ok, that's an exaggeration. I just retired and decided that this year I need to expand my quilting horizons.

Until last year I was a once a decade quilter -- making a quilt a decade since the 60s and assorted paper pieced miniatures. Last year in making a quilt I decided I needed to learn FMQ so I could do more than STID. Since then I have quilted 35 baby quilts for charity for practice. Most of those were quite simple so I could concentrate on the quilting.

Now that I have retired I want to work on my piecing and learn other scary things. So far my plans include:

• Fuzed applique
    • Needle turn applique -- taking a class next week. I am terrified of all hand work.
    • Ohmigosh quilt -- work on piecing accuracy but also I just love little blocks
    • 60 degree triangle quilt ( http://www.jaybirdquilts.com/2011/04/chopsticks.html).
    • Pinwheels- points, points, points

What other patterns/skills do you suggest I put on my agenda that will help me learn?

Congrats on retiring and good luck on your bucket list!

Scrappies are my favorites.
    Linda

I love scrappie quilts and I'm starting to build a scrap collection but it isn't all that big yet.

Congratulations on your retirement. I was retired - laid off - and it's been great trying all those things I didn't have time for before.

How about some patterns with curved piecing or small but precise piecing such as Dear Jane sized blocks - that would be a challenge.

Lucky you..congrats. I would concentrate on finishing my UFOs. I have quilter's ADHD. I blame it all on still working.

Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
    Congratulations on your retirement. I was retired - laid off - and it's been great trying all those things I didn't have time for before.

How about some patterns with curved piecing or small but precise piecing such as Dear Jane sized blocks - that would be a challenge.
    Ooh, curved piecing -- that is the perfect thing to add to my list

I think you will love needle turn appliqué. I love it myself. Other things to try: yoyos, y seams, paper piecing, rag quilts, curved piecing, fabric folding, prairie points, etc.

How about a portrait quilt? Or a landscape quilt? OBW?

What a nice group of good ideas! You will be busy forever!! Happy retirement!! My husband and I both retired within the last year and now we do hobbies full time!! Just plain fun. I wish you just as much fun.

Dina

Besides your own personal quilting skills I would suggest you actively participate in a quilting guild and attend as many different trunk showings, classes, retreats, camps, etc as you can.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast