Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Zig Zag Stitch Is Not Working >

My Zig Zag Stitch Is Not Working

My Zig Zag Stitch Is Not Working

Old 07-07-2010, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

I have a Singer Meritt 3130 from about 1992. The cog for that stitch is in the machine. I have sat for sometime yesterday with the owner's manual in my hands and tried sewing this stitch many times after reading the instructions. The needle will NOT go from side to side. I do not understand.

Any thoughts? (Servicing is not an option...$$$). A new machine might be, but it could take a few months to save up.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:23 AM

did you set the stitch width dial to zig zag? seems like such a simple question, but I've forgotten to do it..
Old 07-07-2010, 07:23 AM
Pam

I have not used a machine that has cams, but try this: Oil and clean the machine, just in case, check the feed dogs, make sure they are up. When you clean the machine, make sure you oil in the faceplate area, too. Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

PS, if you are willing to go with a used machine, check out yard sales and thrift stores. I got a great machine in a walnut cabinet a couple of weeks ago for $.79. Lookee there, money was NO problem that day.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:25 AM

I don't know but I'd be checking the thrift stores, Craigslist and local classifieds for a back up machine. I've picked up several off Craigslist for almost nothing. 20-60 dollars. Then save up for a new one. My grandmother had a Singer that took cogs or cams and it locked up too. It had to be junked. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :cry:
Old 07-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ktbb
did you set the stitch width dial to zig zag? seems like such a simple question, but I've forgotten to do it..
Yes, several times. A few years ago I was playing around and accidentally made it zig zag, and now that I want it to, it won't. I wonder if it is just getting old. It has been used a lot.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:30 AM

There's a little wire thing -looks like the thing in a ball point pen. Maybe that is missing. That is what makes it zigzag. A little circular wire thing. I hope this makes sense.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by happy sewer
There's a little wire thing -looks like the thing in a ball point pen. Maybe that is missing. That is what makes it zigzag. A little circular wire thing. I hope this makes sense.
Is it a spring? Is it up inside the housing near the light bulb? I wonder if it is broken. It did zig zag a few years back, and I have not changed anything.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Pam

Try posting your question here. These folks do alot with the older machines, I bet they could pint you in the right direction!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1013