Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mystery Quilt experience >

Mystery Quilt experience

Mystery Quilt experience

Old 02-08-2012, 07:25 PM

Default Mystery Quilt experience

A group of us meets on Thursdays at our LQS to work on Quilts of Valor. One of the members challenged each of us to make a mystery quilt pattern that she provided. We did the cutting as a group before Thanksgiving and then DH and I left for 5 weeks to visit the family in AZ for the holidays. I had asked that they send me the directions via email while I was gone so I could be up to speed when we got home. Apparently they found some errors in the directions and felt that it would be better to wait until I got home to explain them. Last Thursday when I attended I started sewing half square triangles and did that for 5 hours.
I have spent the last two days squaring up 160 - 3 1/2" squares. I think I can now officially declare that squaring up is my least favorite part of quilting. The other ladies jokingly commented that they weren't going to let her pick patterns any more. Hope this is the worst part of this experience. I guess tomorrow will tell.
One of the the ladies is working on a quilt that has 600 HST so the group is going to help sew and square those for her. After the last few days of doing that I am glad to be moving on to step two of my mystery quilt. Will have to post when I get to the bottom of the mystery. Ann in TN
Old 02-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

Oh My ! But I do love a good mystery Can't wait to see your pics - keep us posted
Old 02-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

oh my goodness...sounds like a lot of work. You must love a good mystery
I'll stay tuned ...I kind of like one too.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Banned

oh my....BUT, as tedious a task as it is, all that squaring up is going to make the quilt come together so much better and faster..it will be worth it! Much better than ripping apart things that don't match or trying to "ease in" things....Can't wait to see pix of this mystery beast!
Old 02-09-2012, 07:03 AM

Every Mystery Quilt I've ever worked on has been a real challenge. Good Luck.