Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mystery of the STILL missing rotary blades...Part 2 >

Mystery of the STILL missing rotary blades...Part 2

Mystery of the STILL missing rotary blades...Part 2

Old 11-30-2011, 10:59 AM

Default Mystery of the STILL missing rotary blades...Part 2

Still have not found the refill package so I went to Joann's this morning.

The didn't have ANY 60mm blades. All 3 brands of refill blades...hooks were empty. I searched through the other sizes thinking maybe someone just put the package back wherever...NOPE. So I ended up buying a 45mm cutter and blades and then one of the stick cutters and blades. This is the Joann's that is close...their other store that is a LOT bigger is further away and in that area there are 3 malls so I knew traffic would be a mess.

Of course while I was there I picked up the largest Dritz cutting mat too. I was looking for the Fons & Porter wedge template but this store doesn't stock any Fons & Porter...the other store does. So I asked the girl at the cutting counter what else I could do. I had traced the pattern from the Fons & Porter book on tissue and then made a template out of the plastic. While cutting the FIRST WEDGE yesterday I managed to cut a huge section off of the right side of the plastic. So...she told me what she would do. She said buy another sheet of the plastic and cut a template. Then use basting spray on the wrong side of my fabric. Position the template and cut around it...the template won't move so you shouldn't end up clipping any of the edges off of it. Or she said...just trace around it on the wrong side of your fabric. I have to cut 32 wedges and have tried both ways...they are both working well. I prefer the basting spray because it's going faster than tracing and then aligning my ruler etc.

You all probably know all of that...but being so new at quilting patterns I wasn't sure.

So...back to cutting 26 more wedges and then I can start sewing/piecing. Hubby doesn't think I can get this done before Christmas Eve. I have a zillion other things that I should be doing but...I said...I want SOMETHING that I have made/sewn on display this year and I am going to make sure come hell or high water I get this done.

Forgot to say...there were only about 5 people shopping in the store this morning. I noticed the shelves where I had bought Christmas fabric about 2 weeks ago...were almost empty.

Last edited by LindaM49; 11-30-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: added last paragraph
Old 11-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

Well I thought as soon as you bought new blades the others would show up. I guess they are really lost and hopefully you find them before someone else goes through your stash years from now. I'm glad it hasn't stopped your momentum on your current project.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:19 AM

I hate to lose stuff. Right now I'm searching for a plain white pillowcase that I know I have. I have 2 of them and I rotate them on my ironing mat to keep spray starch, ect. from making the pad dirty. You can still see the lines on the mat though the pillowcase. I have 2 so I can wash one and still have 1 to use. Don't remember washing it the last time I changed them. Maybe I accidentally threw one of them away but I can't imagine that I did. Just can't find the other one. If i go buy more, I'm sure it will show up.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:27 AM

When making your own plastic templates, I cut two and glue them together. I feel safer if they are thicker, no cut fingers or fingernails.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:33 AM

Just a thought as I have been paper piecing lately -- you could cut your template to the exact size needed (w/o seam allowance) and then use the "add a 1/4" ruler to cut -- would be thicker and also protect your template.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by sylviasmom View Post
When making your own plastic templates, I cut two and glue them together. I feel safer if they are thicker, no cut fingers or fingernails.
I had thought about doing that...but of course didn't. I WILL remember for next time. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Katydid2 View Post
Just a thought as I have been paper piecing lately -- you could cut your template to the exact size needed (w/o seam allowance) and then use the "add a 1/4" ruler to cut -- would be thicker and also protect your template.
Another great idea. Thanks! Do they actually make a ruler that does this? I never heard of it but it would sure help. Something else I will look for when I go to Joann's. Probably not till after New Year's now...and then I will go to the bigger and better store.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:39 PM

I have a couple of packages of bicycle clips that I can't find and I know they are in the house somewhere. Sorry you had to go out to buy another cutter, but you needed that bigger mat and you got some great advice so it was probably worth the trip.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:28 PM

And I thought they'd be right there on your sewing machine table when you got home....silly me! I've still got a lot of stuff that hasn't shown up yet either!