Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Name Ideas for Quilting Company >

Name Ideas for Quilting Company

Name Ideas for Quilting Company

Old 08-25-2015, 01:50 PM

I like Cotton Kangaroo Quilts.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:59 PM

Thank you for the input! I hadn't considered that I might someday want a physical store for my quilts (can't imagine it now, but you never know), but I'm realizing that I need to think of things like that when picking a name & not just whether clients will remember the name I tell them (or a friend tells them) enough to search for it on the web or at a show.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:08 PM

Just some things to consider:

1. If you plan to have a website, register the website name before you register the business name. Reason: there is less availability in domain names. Once you register a business name, the domain often becomes unavailable because resellers buy them up. (see #2 below) Domain name first, DBA second. You do NOT have to actually build the website until you are ready (it can be years later), just register the domain name.

2. Do NOT do searches for available domain names before you are ready to register one. Make a list in your order of preference and register the first one that is available. If you do searches before you're ready to register, odds are good that someone else will grab the name and try to sell it to you 'second hand'. That costs much more than buying 'new'. Tie up the matching blog name if you want to possibly go that route, too.

3. Keep the name secret until after you have it registered (both domain and DBA). Do not mention it here or anywhere else online especially. I know several people who lost their choice in business names because they shared with a 'friend' before registering.

4. Not all banks have higher fees/balance minimums for business accounts. Mine are much lower for my small business account than for my individual accounts plus I get a free debit card with the business account. Many banks cater to small businesses these days, especially community banks.

5. Don't limit the business name just to what your plan is for today. Choose a name that will fit into the future. And, personally, I think any form of the word 'quilt' in the name is very limiting especially if you are considering art quilts down the road. If your goal at that time is to have them considered art (and that should be the goal), then 'quilt' won't fit any longer and it will become a drawback.

6. Pay attention to the initials of your chosen name. Not a super high priority, but take a look before your final decision. So many of us shorten shop names to initials these days...HoP, KQ, CT...that you don't want to risk being known as ICK, PU or some cuss word.

Good luck!! You're gonna be a smash hit!

Last edited by ghostrider; 08-25-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:28 PM

I wish I had NOT put "quilt" in my business name, because it turns out that half of my business is sewing medical brace covers.

I do like Cotton Kangaroo. It's quilty, and says, "soft and baby," and it's fun to say.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:39 PM

Itty Bitty Quilting Zebra
Old 08-25-2015, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

Breeze Quilts leaves you wide open to go in any direction with your quilts in the future. I like saying "Cotton Kangaroo" too, but it reminds me of "Captain Kangaroo" everytime I do. It has the same cadence and sound.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

Bree's Bunny Quilts
Bree's Bonny Quilts
Bree's Baby Quilts
Quilting Bree
Old 08-26-2015, 04:31 AM

My DH and I "fell" into a small business years ago. We liked the name we chose - which really did NOT describe exactly what we did - and people were confused and constantly asked us if we did other things. So please make your name include a reference to what you do - quilts. Otherwise, for example me - I would have absolutely no idea to what kind of business Cotton Kangaroo or Itty Bitty Zebra referred. Not everyone has children - but they might want to buy a gift baby quilt - so I would look for something that said "Quilt" in the name.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:37 AM

I like Breeze Quilts but if you are mostly baby quilts you might want to add that to the name: Breeze Baby Quilts and More!
Old 08-26-2015, 05:57 AM

Sew Breeze Quilts