Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Name the machine

Blog Entries
    When you give your machine a name, is it always a girls name or can it be a guy's name? My longarm machine should arrive next week and I want to name it. How about Hal (from the movie (2001)?

Lynn

Blog Entries
    It's your machine, you can name it how you wish. My named machines are vintage ones named after relatives who did good work. I am not familiar with that movie so I don't know if that criteria works. I haven't named my 'new' treadle yet. She'll tell me her name when I clean her up. It may involve moving a name and renaming a machine I may not keep.

At least machine one on the vintage site is named Bubba. I hope they were thinking male.

I have named my machines after I Love Lucy. My Janome 7700 is Lucy. My Pfaff Creative 2.0 is Ethyl. My Serger is Fred. Your name is your choice! Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by lynndianne
    When you give your machine a name, is it always a girls name or can it be a guy's name? My longarm machine should arrive next week and I want to name it. How about Hal (from the movie (2001)?

Lynn
    Hal wasn't a team player. He killed one guy and sort of imprisoned the other guy. I wouldn't give the machine that kind of power over me.

I named my Pfaff Erik the Red, and I named my longarm Star. I thought of it sort of like naming a horse. But I never talk to either one of them, so I rarely use their names.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I guess I better pick a better name.

Thanks all

Lynn

I have not named my machine. I am hoping some day to own an antique machine, I think they are called featherweights. If I am so lucky I will name it Bess. A few years ago I bought a lot of quilt magazines and included were a few old quilting books and inside one (from 1951) it had the name city and state of the owner and her name was Bess. I feel so fortunate to be the second owner of this book and will make a quilt from it some day in her honor.

Blog Entries
    I have a little FW that has a 'girlie' name. A friend just gave me a sewing machine and it will have a man's name, just don't know what it will be yet.

My serger is a boy, as well as, my husbands FW. The girls don't usually give the 2 boys much of a hard time. lol
    :thumbup: Name it what feels right for you. It's your family who is doing the adopting, your choice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mimom
    I have not named my machine. I am hoping some day to own an antique machine, I think they are called featherweights. If I am so lucky I will name it Bess. A few years ago I bought a lot of quilt magazines and included were a few old quilting books and inside one (from 1951) it had the name city and state of the owner and her name was Bess. I feel so fortunate to be the second owner of this book and will make a quilt from it some day in her honor.
    My FW's name is Bess. No special reason though. When I got it I'd been reading a lot about Queen Elizabeth I and her favorite lady was named Bess. Bess eventually married Sir Walter Raleigh.