Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
naming my quilts OMG it's hard >

naming my quilts OMG it's hard

naming my quilts OMG it's hard

Old 04-26-2012, 06:05 AM

Default naming my quilts OMG it's hard

Is there a wed site or ? I can go to that has lots of names to choose from so I could find names that fit my quilts. Thanks so much- I am so not good at this! GOD BLESS
Old 04-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

Not aware of anything. I always choose some element of the quilt to name it. It may be something to do with the fabric, the block, the pattern name, the quilting design or the giftee. For example the quilt I made for my brother was based on his tattoos so I named it Dan's Tats.
Another example, I made a pattern that was called "star dancer". My focus fabric had cats on it so I named it "kitties dancing with the stars".
Another, I made a pieced cat quilt using all homespuns so I called it "homespun housecats"
My current WIP is another cat pattern done in all batiks. Most batiks are made in Bali so I am calling it "bali cats", a play on alley cats.
Naming is fun and easy. Just pick something about the quilt that inspired you like the color, the block, a quilting motif or if it is a gift for someone and have fun with the name. There are no rules and no limits except your own imagination.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:33 AM
Banned

I don't know of any web site.
The quilt itself usually suggests a name for me - often a song title. If it's for someone and nothing else suggests itself - I just call it Name's Quilt 2012 (or whatever year its done).

Some members have put up a picture and asked for suggestions.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:37 AM

I never thought about this part of quilting?? "Naming the quilt". Thanks for the insight. Teresa
Old 04-26-2012, 07:01 AM

Not sure why you guys name quilts?
Old 04-26-2012, 07:04 AM

I don't usually name my quilts, I don't have any conflict with calling it what it is (log cabin, pineapple, etc). I do know of a quilter who designs her own quilts, they are mostly applique so they are all original. She gives them girl names. Miss Kyra, Miss Karen, Miss Debbie, etc.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:16 AM

I don't name my quilts either. I just call it "Log Cabin Scrappy" or Grandmother's Flower Garden.....whatever the pattern is, that's it's name. Or really original: Alex's graduation quilt. However I did start naming my vehicles: my mazda miata (MM) is called Marilyn and our Montana Mountaineer (MM) is called Norma Jean (all after Marilyn Monroe). Alas, the truck is called "the truck". Good Luck with your names.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:35 AM

I usually use some kind of inspiration about the quilt to name it also. AZ Jane, I name mine because I use it in the Label.

Eg. My sisters quilt (one of my first) was called "Metaphor for Life". Her tag said - "Metaphor for Life quilt made by TK for Colleen. (date) This quilt is full of mistakes and love, just like life. Mistakes should be forgiven and Love should be wrapped around you.

Just go for it Fallon... there was a reason you chose the fabric, pattern and recipient... It is a fun part of quilting.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:48 AM

For me it depends. If it is "just" a quilt - I don't name it (past Purple Log Cabin) but if it is a gift or what I'd call an heirloom then I do name it. A quilt I just finished piecing is named for my Step-Mother who passed last year. She LOVED "Bells of Ireland" (flower). I pieced the quilt while coming to grips with her death etc. so I named it "Bells of Ireland".
Old 04-26-2012, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

I don't name them either. They wouldn't come if I called them, so why bother?