Naming a quilt. >

Naming a quilt.

Naming a quilt.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

You can name a quilt anything you want. There are no rules. :thumbup:
Old 09-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

i have always named my quilts- and the names are as individual as peoples names- it all depends on the quilt- who it's for- what occassion---ect- my granddaughter's birthday quilt is 'Ashley's Ocean' because her name is Ashley- and the quilt is a bargello ocean filled with sea life-
they are all different- and deserve unique- personal names.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:37 PM

interesting discussion gee, thanks for the question.

I thought quilts were named by the type of blocks used and then personalized, like Margaret's Log Cabin.

I hadn't paid that close of attention to the naming, now I will :-)
Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 PM

I have taken to giving my quilts song names. The first quilt I named was "The Flowers that Bloom in the Spring, Tra-La (from the Mikado) because the fabrics were loaded with spring flowers. The quilt I'm working on right now is "The Gambler" (Kenny Rogers) because of the "winning-hand" pattern I'm adapting. Does anyone know if there is any infringement on copyright laws by doing this?
Old 12-12-2012, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by aab007 View Post
I have taken to giving my quilts song names. The first quilt I named was "The Flowers that Bloom in the Spring, Tra-La (from the Mikado) because the fabrics were loaded with spring flowers. The quilt I'm working on right now is "The Gambler" (Kenny Rogers) because of the "winning-hand" pattern I'm adapting. Does anyone know if there is any infringement on copyright laws by doing this?
Copyright does not protect song titles...only the lyrics and music. That's why there are so many songs with the same title. You're safe.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:03 PM

I name my quilts what ever hits me at the time. Sometimes, it's named for the pattern and sometimes it's for the colors I used. One, I named "A Promise Kept" because my wonderful Mother-in-law started it for my husband and passed away before she could finish it. Before she passed away, I had the chance to ask her if she would like me to finish it for her. She was greatful that her youngest son would get his quilt. She made 7 quilts, one for each of the older "kids" and my husband is #8. I helped her with each one except for the first 2 that she made herself. The quilt's name was because she promised each of her kids they would get a quilt from her and because I promised her that I would finish the last one for her. Needless to say, my husband treasures that quilt. My quilts have personalities so they should have name too.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:36 PM

I consider quilts works of art and works of art always have names. What you base your names on is entirely up to you.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:50 PM
QM
Power Poster

I generally name my quilts, but there is certainly no need to. Sometimes the name is simplistic, like, "Adam's Christmas Quilt 2012". More often, I put more energy into the namin than that. i have made about 500 quilts. Names and photos help me keep track of them.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:02 PM

Some I name and some I don't. I made a maple leaf quilt with the leaves turning in different directions and named it Autumn Breeze. A bargello using butterfly fabric that I quilted with a flower design I called Flowers in My Butterfly Garden. Also, my mother and I bought the same fabric and patterns, but she wanted me to make her quilt while I made mine...i just changed up the fabric placements. I also quilted them with the same pattern and call them the Sister Quilts. (She has custody of one and I have custody of the other. LOL) Most get named as I am making them and some never get named.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:33 PM

I named one of my wall hangings "Vicodin" because I was on it when I made it. LOL I was just out of the hospital after surgery and had it all cut out and ready to sit and sew.