Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Naming a quilt.

Is it a common practice to name a quilt? Is the name based on the color? Or the pattern? If you buy a pattern, then do you name your own personal quilt based on the colors?

Blog Entries
    There are no rules! You can name, or not name, as your fancy dictates.

Quilt shows usually are looking for quilt names, as is AAQI, on their donation quilts. Otherwise, you get to decide.

Blog Entries
    Hi and welcome to the board from Iowa. Unless you are presenting them for show I don't know that people name them. Personal preference I believe (smile).

Blog Entries
    I can never think of names!

I always name mine, show or not. I gave birth to it, therefore it gets a name....even if that name is 'study in yellow #7' and it never leaves my studio. :lol: Personal choice.

Blog Entries
    Personal choice. But I do name mine. Usually the name stems from what I call the quilt in conversation (First Quilt, Blue Irish Chain, Christmas Quilt), but sometimes I actually come up with a name that amuses me (Dear Jane Goes Dutch).

Quote Originally Posted by geeblay627e120
    Is it a common practice to name a quilt? Is the name based on the color? Or the pattern? If you buy a pattern, then do you name your own personal quilt based on the colors?
    I don't always name mine, but when I do, I am influenced by the recipient, my reason for making the quilt, the color scheme I chose, the pattern, and/or a combination of these.

Examples:
    Dillon's Critters - made in honor of a boy named Dillon, using a "Critters" charm pack.
    Floral Rows - row of floral squares.

Blog Entries
    I've named some of mine. My first quilt I ever made was called my "Quilt of many Boo boos" because I made tons of mistakes on it (it was my first afterall). The first one I FMQ'd I named my "butt ugly quilt" and it still sits on the shelf waiting to have binding put on it.

The last one I finished the top of is called my "Twisted Rainbow" because it is from a Twister Pattern and it's a primary rainbow. I've made one I called a Crazy Rainbow, but once again the primary colors and the fact it was a Crazy quilt.

The first one I made was named: Lifes Lessons. It was for my sister and I told her that she just needed to remember the love that went into it and overlook the mistakes...

I don't always name mine, just when they are special.

I name mine also, sometimes I ask for help here or from family. But most of the time the name will come to me by the time its finished.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast