Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
National Show Management >

National Show Management

National Show Management

Old 08-21-2016, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

I didn't know Jenny Doan had any original patterns. Everything I've seen her demo has been around for a long time, but she generally uses pre-cuts and sometimes changes the method used to make it.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:14 PM

I am surprised, too. I think that info should be shared. Like the old expression says, give credit where it is due. I also like to know where I can find a pattern used.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

I think many of the new quilters don't know about old patterns. If they see someone do a you tube video then it sticks to being that person's pattern. Jenny always says it's an old pattern not her design.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:29 PM

Even in our local guild show we require the designer name. We also require the quilter name and have judging categories for both hand and machine quilting. I don't have a problem with kits---since many of us see those in catelogs, sure we recognize them. I figure in shows that jury in quilts, kits may not fare well anyway.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:54 AM
Power Poster

When I belonged to a quilt guild, and we were having a quilt show, right on the entry form was a space for the name of the pattern, where it came from and who quilted it, it was mandatory. Now if a small guild, about 125 then, can do that, there's no excuse why Mancuso couldn't do the same.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:40 AM

It could be the show management didn't put that information on the label. Labels used to have more information at the show in Paducah there is very little info and I know they used to put in much more because I enjoyed reading it.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:03 AM

I agree that if a quilt is not an original design, the name of the pattern and designer should be indicated, and certainly whoever worked on the quilt should be given credit.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:19 AM

Certainly a kit should be acknowledged. I know ladies that change out one or two fabrics to claim it isn't a kit. Wrong, wrong, wrong. A kit is a kit. What I can't stand in today's times is everyone renames their patterns so they can sell them as unique to them. Often it is the setting that is unique the patterns have been around for ages. Good designers acknowledge the common block names in their settings. Everyone should be acknowledged for their creativity. The show rules can't keep out dishonest people. They can try but there will always be people who justify a quilt as their own.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
like you, most of us can tell what designer or pattern was used, I don't need to look for the acknowledgment of it.
Who is "most of us"? I've been quilting for more than 10 years, and couldn't recognize very many designs by the designer. I may know that I have seen that one before, but probably don't know who designed it.
If you have entry forms, the name of the designer, piecer, quilter, and whether it is a kit or not is easy to check off. Our show had a "Best of Show" that was a kit. I've seen it many times now, but still couldn't tell you who designed it.

I would prefer to see all this information on the tag for the quilt at the show. By having this information available, we are "educating" the public, and next time they may be able to recognize a designer.

Last edited by maviskw; 08-22-2016 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:34 AM

IMHO every quilt in every show - large or small - should have the name of the pattern, designer, who made the top and who quilted it. If the quilter found it in a magazine, then say so. If it was made from a pattern, then recognize the company name/name of designer. If the quilt was quilted by the top maker, say so; if it was quilted by someone else then name them. Unless the quilter absolutely started from her/his personal design, all people should be given credit. To me it's the only fair way. I cringe when I see the info cards that do not include such info - which may lead me or others to "assume" that the person's name in th card did everything. Come I people, even if it's a small local show be reasonable. Plus it helps viewers know where the pattern came from and who quilted it should they be interested in locating the pattern or use the quilter's services.

I hope you all don't think I'm being too stringent about this - just think about all this info and how it can really help. I also think this info should be on the quilt label, too. How often do we wish we knew the name and location of a quilter on an old quilt. Thanks for letting me write about something I believe in.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC