Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Natures Touch Batting - >

Natures Touch Batting -

Natures Touch Batting -

Old 09-14-2015, 03:14 PM

Default Natures Touch Batting -

I am making a baby quilt (I am so thankful for the Yellow Brick Road Pattern by Atkinson Designs) and the mother who asked me to make the quilt, bought the fabrics.

I had strongly urged her to go to a quilt shop, but she could not resist the sale price at Joann Fabrics. Yikes! Hated sewing with this as I could see the fabric design on the bottom fabric when sewing as if it were the top fabric.

I am ready to sandiwch the quilt, and she brought over batting which I have never used, Pellon Nature's Touch Cotton Batting. I had urged her to get Warm & Natural as that is what I am familiar with.

Will the Pellon Nature's Touch batting fall apart inside the quilt after numerours washings?
Old 09-14-2015, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

It will be fine. It is needlepunche de through scrim just like Warm and Natural. It is linty but otherwise very comparable to WandN.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:08 PM
Banned

I've been using Pellon batting for about two years, after discovering it's about 1/4 the price of W&N when you buy the Pellon on a bolt. I've not had one issue with it, can't tell the difference once it's in a quilt.

Cari
Old 09-14-2015, 06:28 PM

I have had two packages of that batting that were thinner than the first 4 or 5. I contacted the company and they will replace them if I send samples of both the good and the thin. I really like the product and my children's quilts are doing fine.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:33 PM

I have not washed any as yet but find it a little thinner than most pre-packaged cotton batting. I like it for table runners as it has a flatter feel. I prefer Hobbs for my quilts or Soft and Natural which has a nice plush feel to it.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

You have to be so careful because non-quilters will always buy anything inexpensive. I use to provide at cost Hobbs 80/20.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

Be sure to follow the directions on the batting for how to close to make the lines of quilting. I'm not familiar with that particular batting, but I have used some Pellon batts that were very nice. In the past I've been given batting to use with the longarm that I hated working with. One was thin in some places and somewhat thicker in others, and had almost a sticky feel to it. I hated even touching it. As far as the fabric goes, this might be an opportunity to teach the mother the differences in fabric quality. Some of JoAnn's fabric is very good, some is not. If she understands that the cheap (in terms of quality) fabric will not last as long or look as good, she may choose more wisely in the future.