Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Neat Little Tricks >

Neat Little Tricks

Neat Little Tricks

Old 12-22-2010, 01:12 PM

We homeschool so we went and bought those rolls of gum, "Bubble Tap" that come in those little, round, flat containers. I had the thought to use the leftover containers as cases for the children's homemade measuring tapes they were making in math class. They came in packages of three and since I have only two kids, I was just going to toss out the third when I had a brilliant idea. I started storing my used, dull rotary blades in them. When it gets full, I just toss the whole container without worrying about it ripping through the bags. it's the perfect size for the blades and I don't have to worry about the kids getting into the garbage (they're often in the sewing room with me, as they sew as well). What are some of your neat little tricks?
Old 12-22-2010, 01:20 PM

I'm an insulin dependent person. To discard the needles safely and save the money from buying the 'sharps containers' which start about $30. I use a milk jug with a screw-on cap. Or juice or something that screws on. I bend the needle back or recap it and drop in. once it is filled I either superglue cap on or I use duck tape and I wrap and tape a paper lable such as this. The real one is orange, this one scanned pink, sorry but please if you need to use it make it orange. I don't know what to do to fix my color in this machine. Thanks Ruth
Attached Thumbnails attachment-147016.jpe  
Old 12-22-2010, 01:24 PM

Brilliant idea for the used blades/gum container- I have been wrapping mine in duct tape before I throw them, but this is a very good idea- gonna have to stuff some stockings with that gum!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:28 PM

I love that idea and I bet my kids have one of those containers around here. I put used exacto blades (which I use for other crafts) in an empty altoids tin.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by mrspete
I'm an insulin dependent person. To discard the needles safely and save the money from buying the 'sharps containers' which start about $30. I use a milk jug with a screw-on cap. Or juice or something that screws on. I bend the needle back or recap it and drop in. once it is filled I either superglue cap on or I use duck tape and I wrap and tape a paper lable such as this. The real one is orange, this one scanned pink, sorry but please if you need to use it make it orange. I don't know what to do to fix my color in this machine. Thanks Ruth
My DH also does this also but if you label is as biohazard you are responsible to bring it to a bio hazard facility and they charge$$ to dispose of it. our trash says if you put it in any container and seal it up as you do they will accept it.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:16 PM

FYI- If you are using a plastic container for needle disposal please don't use thin plastic like milk jugs. In the medical office I worked in (where we accepted needles for disposal) we only accepted heavy plastic like laundry detergent or softener bottles. The thin ones are too easy to puncture.

Pat
Old 12-22-2010, 07:04 PM

I use large pickle jars to put my insulin needles in and now that I have an insulin pump it lasts a long time in our area you have package it a certain way and write medical waste on it I also use my test strip containers to put used sewing machine needles in fill it up and throw it away
Old 12-22-2010, 07:49 PM

Not a trick really - but I've found empty oatmeal containers to be handy - especially when doing handwork - I have a portable waste basket with a lid at my disposal :)

BTW- Ps150 - my daughter is also a homeschooler and the grandones love it...always something fun going on at their house it seems!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Midwestmary
Not a trick really - but I've found empty oatmeal containers to be handy - especially when doing handwork - I have a portable waste basket with a lid at my disposal :)

BTW- Ps150 - my daughter is also a homeschooler and the grandones love it...always something fun going on at their house it seems!
I thought it would be interesting to say the least. I went to public school but my DH was homeschooled from 5th grade on and wanted that for our birs. His mom would just give him the books and tell him which lessons to do so he wanted a more hands-on experience for our girls. I spend a lot of time reading homeschool books but it's worth it all to see that "Aha" look on the girls' faces when something clicks. For our first-aid lesson we mixed red food color with petroleum jelly to make "blood". Then we drew different injuries/cuts/scrapes/gouges on our arms. I showed the girls how to clean the "wounds", apply ointment to the proper sized band-aids and then bandage themselves. Since that fun-filled hour we have less frantic fearful boo-boos. :-) They don't fear what they can take care of themselves. On the downside, they seem to need Mommy's Boo-Boo kisses less. :?
Old 12-22-2010, 08:50 PM

For broken sewing needles and bent or dull pins, I just use an old pill bottle. I always have tons of those.They hold lots and just goes in the trash.