Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
NECCI 523 >

NECCI 523

NECCI 523

Old 09-25-2010, 02:00 PM

I attended an estate auction today. Bought a Necci 523 sewing machine for $5.00. Oiled it, seems to sew just fine, did straight and zig-zag stitches. On the back it says Made in Taiwan. My guess is that is fromthe 70's. It does have a metal case. The machine itself is tan, with the stitch info in orange and brown. Anyone have any info about this machine?
Old 09-25-2010, 05:22 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by boxerlady
I attended an estate auction today. Bought a Necci 523 sewing machine for $5.00. Oiled it, seems to sew just fine, did straight and zig-zag stitches. On the back it says Made in Taiwan. My guess is that is fromthe 70's. It does have a metal case. The machine itself is tan, with the stitch info in orange and brown. Anyone have any info about this machine?
No info, but I remember my mother having one of these in the 50s and 60s I believe. Sat in her bedroom for years as she made our clothes on it.

My daddy bought it for her about 8 years after they married. Mother was raising 4 children and didn't use the machine for the first few weeks. Daddy was impatient so he went out, bought a pattern, some fabric, and sewed up something on the machine to show her how it was done.
I'm sure it hurt her feelings at the time; they were divorced a few years later,LOL!
It was years and years before I was interested in sewing after that.

Jan in VA
Old 09-25-2010, 06:55 PM

We have the 520, a lower end machine, built solid. In the manual it says you can turn it into a treadle machine. Have fun with it.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:38 PM

I have owned a 523 since 1970. It sits in a wooden cabinet and converts fron electric to treadle ( I lived in a country where power outages were the norm). When I came to the US I had it shipped and it is still a very dependabe machine. Today I use it mainly for piecing but it is still my favorite machine. To get a manual or more info, Google Necchi and then search for 523. Also www.sew4less.com carries some parts.

Hope this helps!