Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ned help for a important pattern >

Ned help for a important pattern

Ned help for a important pattern

Old 08-11-2014, 04:52 AM

Default Ned help for a important pattern

I very dear friend just found out she MAY have breast cancer. She's goes tomorrow for tests. This woman is unbelieve. Shes a RN at the Hospice I volunteer at. She is the most loving and caring RN I have ever known .
I want to make her a quilt . I know I might be jumping the gun BUT>>> its not looking good. they seen the spot in her last years mamagram and told her they would watch it. well the doctor can now feel it and. it has grown. since last year. Everyone is praying for the best.
Ok I'm looking for a fast and easy pattern so I can get it done if she does have to go thru chemo, surgery and whatever they decide.I will use fleece on the back so its soft and cuddly so she can cuddle in. IF which I hope she won't need I will donate it to the cancer center for someone else who needs the comfort.
THANKS so much!!
Old 08-11-2014, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

I would think that any of the charity quilts popular here such as Warm Wishes would work for you. This pattern is free and you only need a focus fabric, two tonals and a background. It goes together very quickly. Here is the layout I made on EQ5. The squares are 6" cut.
Attached Thumbnails warm-wishes.jpg  
Old 08-11-2014, 05:25 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. And, bless you for wanting to do a special quilt for her.

A simple but pretty quilt is the 9-patch alternating with a plain block. It is quick to make. My dilemma would be the decision about what fabric to use. Would you want to use one of the pretty pink ribbon fabrics? Would that remind her of the fight she's in the middle of or.... would it help her focus on beating this thing? Or, would you use fabrics that she's commented on .... being so pretty, etc.? I guess you know your friend well enough to know what to use. Good luck on your project.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:30 AM

She will be in my prayers. She would appreciate any color and any pattern and wrap herself in it to keep warm. You are a true friend. Hugs
Old 08-11-2014, 06:13 AM

Hopefully they will just be fibroadenomas, which are a pain, but not cancerous. Maybe a BQ pattern, as those are quite nice
Old 08-11-2014, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Someone posted a link to a pattern from the Fat Quarter Shop this week that uses 10 dark fat quarters and 10 light fat quarters. I think it's called Fat Quarter Fizz and it's a youtube video on their site.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:45 AM

I made a comfort quilt for a friend who had a mastectomy. Even though I SITD the quilt, I placed ties at block intersections, then I passed it around at our church and asked friends to tie one and to say a prayer while they were tying it. All her nurses, doctors, friends and family tied one while she was in the hospital. That way, she was not only wrapped in comfort, she was wrapped in prayer. She loved it, and is now a 5-year survivor. Good luck and healing prayers for your friend. Hospice nurses are truly angels.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

Zozee just posted a picture of the quilt she made for her friend going thru chemo using the pattern Warm Wishes.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t251600.html
Old 08-11-2014, 03:59 PM

Warm Wishes is my go to quick quilt. Can make one in a weekend.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:04 PM

I'm so sorry your friend is going through this. I've recently seen a three color tossed nine patch that was really pretty and super easy. Best wishes to you and your friend.