Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on best printable fabric for pics

Banned
    Hi everyone, I am thinking about making a wallhanging with pics of my kids. But I want printable fabric sheet, not transfers. If that makes sense. What is the best ones to get. The local quilt shop said they like "printed treasure" or "EQ". But I see other kinds out there too. What is the best and the best priced. I want my wallhanging to out live me so I would rather have the best rather than the best price.
    I was thinking of keeping the pics original size with a shadow box for 3D effect with small sashing and border. Or does someone have a new idea....and I love to see pics of the ideas if you have them.
    thanks everyone :)

people say printed treasures is really good, i don't know how expensive it is, i have used muslin and ironed it to freezer paper and it goes through the printer just fine. it's been suggested that to make pics last longer and not fade a product called bubblejet set should be used, as mine did fade i'm going to try it next time. I'm sure others here will have better advice for you as i am fairly new (2yr) quilter. But that has been my experience with pics on quilts.

We had a presentation at guild from a lady that did extensive testing for a photo quilt she created for Bob Dole. The Printed Treasures had the best picture quality and stood up to all their testing. They printed the photos out and then cut them in half and washed them several times and then compared the washed halves to the unwashed halves.

Banned
    wow, thanks :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    We had a presentation at guild from a lady that did extensive testing for a photo quilt she created for Bob Dole. The Printed Treasures had the best picture quality and stood up to all their testing. They printed the photos out and then cut them in half and washed them several times and then compared the washed halves to the unwashed halves.

Blog Entries
    I do not like the June Tailor brand - too stiff. I like the feel of the photo printed fabric when I make my own sheets of fabric transfer paper using freezer paper - it has a softer hand. Printed Treasures and EQ have about about the same results. I used all three in my "Jan's Garden" quilt - which was machine quilted. The quilt itself has not been washed. Color stability depends a lot on what printer/printer ink you use too and whether you follow the directions on whichever fabric transfer paper you use.

Banned
    Do you have a pics I can see?
    Quote Originally Posted by Janquiltz
    I do not like the June Tailor brand - too stiff. I like the feel of the photo printed fabric when I make my own sheets of fabric transfer paper using freezer paper - it has a softer hand. Printed Treasures and EQ have about about the same results. I used all three in my "Jan's Garden" quilt - which was machine quilted. The quilt itself has not been washed. Color stability depends a lot on what printer/printer ink you use too and whether you follow the directions on whichever fabric transfer paper you use.

Blog Entries
    Go to www.bryerpatch.com to find Caryl Bryer Fallert's info for printing on fabric! I personally use Bubble Jet Set and make my own because over a period of time, unless the packages are sealed well, the chemicals dissipate.

Banned
    what is bubble jet set?
    Quote Originally Posted by scowlkat
    Go to www.bryerpatch.com to find Caryl Bryer Fallert's info for printing on fabric! I personally use Bubble Jet Set and make my own because over a period of time, unless the packages are sealed well, the chemicals dissipate.

Banned
    never mind, I figured it out. thanks :)

I love Printed Treasures. It looks great and stays nice.

Might I suggest that you don't print the photos too large? You will want to quilt around them and not through them--faces look terrible with stitching acroos them--like Frankenstein! And if the photoes are 8 x 10, and you quilt around them, they look sort of saggy. I have better luck printing two 5 x 7 photoes or four 3 x 4" photos to one sheet of Printed Treasure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast