Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need advice on border fabric

Blog Entries
    I am making a denim quilt from old jeans. I would appreciate advice on border fabric. It seems to me that regular quilting cotton might not be heavy enough and look appropriate with the heavier jean denim. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Blog Entries
    What about using denim from jeans of a different color-maybe a light blue? Never made one before-but it sounds like your right about regular cotton being too light for the denim. There are various colors and shades of jeans-maybe even some old printed ones from the 70's and 80's if you can find them.

A different colored denim is a good idea. I was also thinking that maybe corduroy would be kind of neat? I've used it before in quilts with no problems. There's some lighter weight fine waled cords in the apparel fabric section at Joanns or whatnot. Maybe a striped or picket border out of corduroy?

Blog Entries
    Tha's an idea, too. It will give it some texture-I would make sure you wash it and dry it a couple of times, as it will probably shrink (being cotton) and your jeans won't (i'm assuming your using used denim).

corduroy or flannel works nicely with denim

I'll go out on a limb and suggest red, black or blue bandana cotton fabric. I think it would hold up as well as on any other quilt IMHO. You might want to cut it a little wider than you usually would cut a binding, to allow for the thickness of the jeans fabric.

I used different shades of kids' jeans....backed w/flannel only. Keep a few of the pockets and make secret compartments from a couple of the zippers and snaps.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by meemersmom
    A different colored denim is a good idea. I was also thinking that maybe corduroy would be kind of neat? I've used it before in quilts with no problems. There's some lighter weight fine waled cords in the apparel fabric section at Joanns or whatnot. Maybe a striped or picket border out of corduroy?
    Thanks to all of you who made suggestions for the border. I think I will look for either a fine wale or a no-wale corduroy. I hadn't even thought of that. I will wash and dry it a couple of times to shrink it good before cutting. This board always comes through when someone needs assistance. Hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend.

Hobby Lobby has printed denim, and if you Google "printed denim fabric you will get some nice prints.

What about a flannel?