Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice on buying a new sewing machine. >

Need advice on buying a new sewing machine.

Need advice on buying a new sewing machine.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:19 PM

Default Need advice on buying a new sewing machine.

My 40 year old Kenmore has about had it. I'm thinking about $300.00 plus for something new. My Kenmore has a cabnet and I'm not sure if they even make machines to fit those anymore. Would you pass on some suggestions to me. I would almost have to buy a table for it too. Thank you, Donna
Old 03-23-2013, 06:28 PM

Here's my suggestion...made many times before but I think it bears repeating. Make yourself a spreadsheet or list of what your 'must haves' and 'wants' are. Go for the gusto on this list. Don't think about budget. THEN, once you have your list of 'needs vs wants' are, consider your budget. Figure out what options fit in your budget. THEN, go test drive the machines in your budget at various dealers. See how you feel about the dealer's in general and ask to speak to the resident repair person...unless you already have one you deal with.

I love the repair guy at my local dealer. I'm ok with the dealer themselves. And I LOVE my Viking. But I had done the above research prior to purchasing my machine. Had also dealt with the repair person independent of my current machine so I knew what I was getting with him irrespective of the machine I ultimately purchased.

It's a tough journey...take your time if you can. Or, look at some other vintage Singers if you're not looking for deco stitches. Then again, some of them can be jems as well.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:24 PM
Power Poster

NJ Quilters advice is right on!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:13 PM

My DH got me a Brother SE-400 for Christmas. It's a combo sewing/embroidery machine (4" hoop). So far I love it, though I have to admit I haven't tried the embroidery yet. We purchased in on Amazon for about $325, free shipping.

NJQuilters suggestions are excellent.

Good luck on your hunt!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:46 AM

I have the Brother PC-420.. Bought it alittle over a month ago and LOVE IT! I looked for about 3 months before deciding on this one. I was soooo torn on what to get considering how many different brands are out there... but this machine had ALOT of great reviews and I was also able to get it from HSN so I could make Flex payments.. GOod luck!!! Love the Brother name brand... would NEVER buy a singer!

Last edited by mimmy96; 03-24-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:27 AM

Most of my friends have bought Janome's in that price range and just love them. They have plenty of stitches, needle threader (which I would love to have), and some have needle cutters. Check them out too! I believe the Janome is a better brand machine than the Brother. Personally, I have a Bernina and just love it. I purchased it 22 years ago for $1300 and it was worth every penny.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

I don't know about machines in your price range but I can give you some general suggestions:

Make a list of your MUST HAVE features and then start looking at what's out there.
When you find a machine you might like, go test drive at a local dealer and the read the user reviews. I go to patternreview.com to see what is said on there. (You have to sign up to get older reviews but it's free and they do not bombard you with emails).

I had a lower end Brother and was perfectly happy with it. My GF still uses it and loves it.
Janome users are generally VERY loyal to that brand. I am a Baby Lock girl now and love that brand.

One review I read gave the sewing machine 0 stars because it didn't fit in her sewing cabinet. That one made me laugh.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Here's my suggestion...made many times before but I think it bears repeating. Make yourself a spreadsheet or list of what your 'must haves' and 'wants' are. Go for the gusto on this list. Don't think about budget. THEN, once you have your list of 'needs vs wants' are, consider your budget. Figure out what options fit in your budget. THEN, go test drive the machines in your budget at various dealers. See how you feel about the dealer's in general and ask to speak to the resident repair person...unless you already have one you deal with.

It's a tough journey...take your time if you can. Or, look at some other vintage Singers if you're not looking for deco stitches. Then again, some of them can be jems as well.
Have take some scrap fabric with you to test sew on and go test drive all the machines you can and Enjoy it! Have fun with it! You will be surprised at how same priced machines but different brands can feel SO different. Me, I'm a Janome fan. but thats just me....we all have our own preferences.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:48 PM

While you're looking, keep an eye in Craig's list for a machine like yours that someone may not have used as much as you have and is looking to sell inexpensively. If nothing else that could give you a comfortable backup machine.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:31 PM

Visit your local shop and sew on as many machines as you can to see which one you want. I had sticker shock when I purchased a machine several years ago. Just buy the best that you can afford.