Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice on buying a sewing machine for quilting >

Need advice on buying a sewing machine for quilting

Need advice on buying a sewing machine for quilting

Old 12-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Auj

Default Need advice on buying a sewing machine for quilting

I want a sewing machine that I can also use for quilting BUT I don't want a long arm. I have no space for it at all, plus will not use it enough to justify the expense. What I want is a machine that I can use for sewing and also for quilting. I also want it to have a stitch regulator to keep the quilting nice and even. I'd also like a bit larger throat if possible. Is this just a dream or is there a machine out there? And what will she cost? I'd appreciate any help and advice.

Audrey
Old 12-19-2011, 07:44 PM

The only domestic machine with a stitch regulator for free motion quilting is a Bernina. There are several machines in the 3K and under price catagory with 9 to 11 inch throat spaces. I personally have the Janome 6600. It has a built in walking foot system that makes straight line quilting a breeze.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:58 PM

I have the Janome Horizon and love it for FMQ and piecing and any sewing I do! It does not have the stitch regulator, but you can slow the machine down and that does basically the same if you need more control. I think there are several machines out there that will do great work. You really need to look in shops that sell machines designed for quilting and try each one out with a demonstrator, although that never answers all one's questions! It is a hard decision and price can play a large part in it! What you are willing to spend is the bottom line many times. The Janome Horizon is somewhere in the 3000.00 range or a bit under that. I honestly think you would be very satisfied with the Horizon and can recommend it.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:20 PM

I have an old much coveted Singer 301A with the XL throat plate. This only has straight stitch & reverse, no fancy stitches, BUT it pieces GREAT and you can FM quilt with it beautifully!!! Look on craigslist for one.
Very portable and easy to take to your LQS or to classes.
Good luck, let us know what you decide on.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:27 PM

I have the Viking Sapphire 855. It does not have a stitch regulator but has the large throat. I quilt smaller quilts with it but haven't tried a queen or larger.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:30 PM

If a stitch regulator is a must a Bernina is the only way to go. Yes, I'm sure all the above machines are nice for their users, but the original poster specified a STITCH REGULATOR.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:42 AM

True but I can tell you that I do not need a stitch regulator with mine - I have the BabyLok Quilter's Pro with a 9 inch throat. I would have loved a long arm but same thing - can't afford and no space.
Much to my surprise, the BabyLok is just fabulous. I NEVER use my walking foot, it does FMQ on any size quilt from baby size up to queen with no uneven stitching, it is very easy to use, has an oversize bobbin, clips the thread in the middle of a seam rather than having to drag it off, and it is one fast puppy. Only does straight stitching but comes with lots of feet, rolled hem, zipper foot, even the walking foot which I don't use! Cost is about $1000 - $1500 new.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:54 AM

I know lots of quilters love the BSR. However, every time I have tried it it has NEVER worked right for me.

I have my Pfaffs. I much prefer the IDT for regular piecing/sewing than a BSR. It was just a matter of a little practive to get my stitches even.

So: try them out first.

ali
Old 12-20-2011, 07:28 AM

Whatever you decide, do try the machine out first. That is the only way to know what works best with you. Take something you are working on with you...don't just rely on what the dealer has. That's what I did two years ago, and I am very happy with my Pfaff (Expression 2.0). It has a ten inch throat. I have only been quilting 2 years, and I honestly don't know what a stitch regulator is, but I don't seem to need it, I guess.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:32 AM

I just googled "sewing machines with stitch regulator" and found several brands that offer such machines. You might want to check that out. Pfaff was one mentioned, and I am going to go read my instruction manual to see if I have such a thing. It wouldn't be the first time I had used only what I knew about where there were many other things on my machine.

Dina