Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice on fabric flaws >

Need advice on fabric flaws

Need advice on fabric flaws

Old 02-20-2015, 12:58 PM

Default Need advice on fabric flaws

Hi, everyone - I could use some sage advice from the folks here who are knowledgeable about fabric manufacture. I am totally disillusioned with Moda. I know everyone seems to be fond of them, but I am not as of this minute.

Here's what happened: a few months ago, I bought a huge length of Printemps for a backing, from KQ. I checked the length at home to make sure they measured correctly but otherwise didn't interact with it until today. Wow. After washing, I put it over the ironing board and discovered a big black ink mark in the center. Now, I can work around that, BUT I don't know what to do about the "woven-in" flaws and slubs. They are spaced very awkwardly.

The fabric is offwhite with tiny red flowers. There is a lot of the offwhite. Woven in, at various points, are aqua threads! (not a design element, either). I can likely pull them with fine pins, but wouldn't it damage the integrity of the fabric? There are about 8 of them so far, as long as 1". How does this happen?

I usually cut around slubs but would have to leave them in, here. What causes a slub? Isn't it a weak point in the fabric?

Even if I had the receipt, which I likely don't, KQ only lists how many yards at which price. There would be no way to prove that it's the Printemps. And it was retail price, no doubt, and then some.

Grateful for any suggestions,
Charlotte
Old 02-20-2015, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

WOW, I would certainly contact KQ with what the problem is and see what they say about it. If you ordered it online, you would have something on your computer. But I am sure they could find you on theirs. If nothing can be done, is there anything such as a small pattern that you can applique to cover the flaw??
Old 02-20-2015, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
WOW, I would certainly contact KQ with what the problem is and see what they say about it. If you ordered it online, you would have something on your computer.
Alas, I bought it in the shop, and it was the end of the bolt.
If nothing else, this is probably a cautionary tale about inspecting fabric right away, although I have seen rogue threads woven into LQS fabrics before.

Charlotte
Old 02-20-2015, 01:57 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I'm thinking you might have better luck by contacting United Notions in Dallas TX with photos and your problem.

http://storefront.unitednotions.com/...e=zCompanyInfo

Jan in VA
Old 02-20-2015, 01:59 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
.....I have seen rogue threads woven into LQS fabrics before. Charlotte
When I had my shop, if we found these problems in a bolt, we sent it back to the manufacturer. It's quite possible KQ employees were not aware of the problem with this bolt.

Jan in VA
Old 02-20-2015, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

Jan, you are so helpful and know just about anything we all have problems with or know where to find the answers.
I admire so much, how on top of so many subjects you are. Thank you
peace
Old 02-20-2015, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

Jan, you are so helpful and know just about anything we all have problems with or know where to find the answers.
I admire so much, how on top of so many subjects. Thankyou

We should have an Encyclopedia of Jan
peace
Old 02-20-2015, 02:58 PM

I had a similar problem with wide backing fabric I bought at Joanns - I think it was Quilter's Legacy. But it had a black line the entire length of the fold. I didn't catch it until I was serging the ends so that I could wash it. I was sure I was stuck with it, since I had started the serging, but I took it back anyway. They checked the bolt, and the rest of the bolt was also flawed. They ordered a new bolt, and gave me new fabric.

Given that you have the black line flaw, and the odd threads in the weave, I would take it back to the shop.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
When I had my shop, if we found these problems in a bolt, we sent it back to the manufacturer. It's quite possible KQ employees were not aware of the problem with this bolt.

Jan in VA
Now, that is interesting. Maybe I will write to Moda after all.

What I am thinking of doing is trying to remove one of the threads, thinking that the off white is under them. If they are extra, I can likely get them out. One has to wonder how they get in there in the first place.

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 02-20-2015, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

The worst that can happen if you contact Moda is that they will do nothing.

Maybe you can send a picture of it to both KQ and Moda and see what happens.