Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need  Advice  For  Helping  Handicapped  Quilters >

Need Advice For Helping Handicapped Quilters

Need Advice For Helping Handicapped Quilters

Old 03-20-2012, 02:32 AM

My deceased now MIL suffered a brain aneurysm. Caught before it broke and they did surgery but...it broke on the table and in their haste to stop the bleeding they damaged her brain which left her partially paralyzed on her right side. She was a school teacher, taught piano for years and was very active plus loved to sew and crochet. After some intense therapy she was able to walk with a walker unassisted and had limited use of her right arm and hand. I don't think she every attempted sewing again but...she did try crocheting. The therapist said it would be great therapy. Well...she was doing pretty good and then my FIL decided to stop the therapy and started waiting on her. So everything she had been doing went down the drain pretty quick. They HAD the money to continue therapy but he was a cheapskate. So he ended up waiting on her hand and foot for almost 20 years before she passed away.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:19 AM

I was just at the Lancaster AQS show where I saw a woman demonstrate 3 remarkable sewing feet which fit on any machine which has a zig zag. They are called Creative Feet, and she designed them to help a blind woman sew--not the one who was recently on utube---these feet have been around for awhile, I think. I just never knew about them. They are made so you can easily feel if your fabric is in the guide correctly, then it sews perfectly by itself. Together the 3 feet can do about 80 different applications, she said. Really cool. Check it out.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Maybe she'd get as much Joy (Or more?) from hand quilting and not worrying about piecing .... doing the whole cloth quilts or panels that I suggested earlier?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:10 AM

I do have hand handicaps.

I use an Alto's QuiltCut2 for my cutting as it takes only 1 pressure point to keep it in place and is accurate. Yes, I use whichever hand hurts the least when cutting.

I use a 1/4 foot with a flange guide or an seam guide when sewing my seams.

I have the little 'birdie' type Third hand also. Nancy's Notions carries it as do other sources.

I also have another Third Hand from a Mr Quilt, though I don't think he is in business anymore. It is like a square Brooklyn revolver with a C type clamp positioned over the center of the revolving portion that I can screw down to hold my acryllic templates in place while rotating the fabric so it is easy to cut all sides of the template.

I have played around to find which ruler stabilizers I like: the sandpaper dots are second to the acryllic dots.

There are lots of aids out there. Keep looking and trying ... if that is what she wants to do, she can do it.

ali
Old 03-20-2012, 09:13 AM

What about elmers glue to hold the pieces together?