Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice on how to outline picture in panel >

Need advice on how to outline picture in panel

Need advice on how to outline picture in panel

Old 12-01-2012, 07:17 AM

Go to website called quiltshops.com and type in A cat for all seasons in search area. Brings up quiltshops that have the panel.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 AM

I agree that FMQing around the cats and flowers and then straight stitching the lines with a walking foot is the way to go. I have done several panels this way. One is the header for my blog right now.

judee
Old 12-01-2012, 07:42 AM

You can get the panel and coordinating fabrics from this site:
http://www.ericas.com/fabric/acatforallseasons.htm
Old 12-01-2012, 07:51 AM

Since it is so small, I would hand quilt it. That way you have total control of where your needle goes. The panel is so cute, I would want to hand quilt it.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Okay, thanks for the words of wisdom. I will experiment before I sew on my panel, but it sounds like several ways may work. My walking foot is built into my machine, so I can use a different foot. I have never done any FMQ, so will probably go with my regular foot and feed dogs up.

Let me look at the edge of the panel. It says A Cat for All Seasons, Cheryl Haynes of Prairie Grove Peddler for Benartex. I saw this pane in a small quilting catalogue (at the dentist office, of all places), so I know it must be available. My sister bought it for me while she was in New York last month, and the catalogue was a recent one. Here is the website from the edge www.Benartex

Dina
Thank you sew much for finding the name of the panel for us. I just ordered the panel from Erica's. It's only $6.75 plus $3.15 for shipping first class mail.

http://www.ericas.com/fabric/acatforallseasons.htm
Old 12-01-2012, 10:01 AM

Ditto!.I've done many, many panels as ArtsyOne suggests and had great results. The key is to have the back and the batting really smooth and pinned down. froggyintexas
Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
I've tried quilting around shapes using a hopping foot and the feed dogs down, but it required a lot of concentration and the stitches were definitely not as I would have liked - some were long, some were short. Since the cats are large and they have long straight edges, I would definitely use a regular foot with the feed dogs up and just sew slowly while turning the quilt when necessary.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:50 PM

For thread, perhaps black around the cats and the bowl if it's black and then maybe a variegated orange thread around the orange objects including the rectangular panels. Just my opinion. I'm a variegated thread gal when quilting both front and back usually so get other opinions or strike out on your own.
Chris
Old 12-01-2012, 04:44 PM

Again, thanks for all the help. I am going to practice with my feed dogs up and a regular foot and see how that feels. I need to figure out what fabric I want to use for the back, but think I better practice first on something that doesn't matter

Dina
Old 12-01-2012, 04:57 PM

I think if I were quilting that panel, I would do the 1/4" outline or SID of each seperate section, square or rectangular and skip trying to detail the cats and flowers. If your batting requires closer quilting, then I'd pick one or two items in each frame to outline, rather than trying to do everything. It's a great panel!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 05:03 PM

cute panel--good luck!