Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need advice on how to quilt this one?

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I made a checkerboard quilt with 8 1/2" blocks got the blocks all done and just pinned the sandwich together but now can't decide how I should quilt it together. I really don't want to SITD I was thinking about putting X's in the blocks but not sure how to go about this. Do I start in the middle and go to corner or do each individual block with the X's. Any advice would be helpful I'm stuck. :cry:

Blog Entries
    Post a pic please. It's much easier to help when you do. Besides. . . Pictures are soooo much fun to look at. :lol:

Blog Entries
    I would start in one corner and go across the diagonal, then do the opposite diagonal (like making an X) and alternate from there. As long as you're using a walking foot it should be fine.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I would start in one corner and go across the diagonal, then do the opposite diagonal (like making an X) and alternate from there. As long as you're using a walking foot it should be fine.
    In the same block one at a time or from one corner of the quilt to the other corner,top to bottom?

Blog Entries
    One corner of the quilt. I don't do single blocks if I can avoid it. I'm all about simple and quick.

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    One corner of the quilt. I don't do single blocks if I can avoid it. I'm all about simple and quick.
    I agree with gale.. don't do single blocks, you can end up with puckers

You could do a 1/4 seam inside the squares but I know that's a lot of work. My daughter who never made a quilt wants her first quilt she makes to be just squares of the same size sewn together, which she will be working on this winter. Your quilt is very bright and colorful. Another thought is to "tie" it like a log cabin... Good luck.