Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need advice on a log cabin block

Unhappy Need advice on a log cabin block

I have been working on log cabin blocks that were precut. I am on the last row of the last block (12 total). One of the stripes for the last row is too short. Should I decrease the final size of all my blocks? I could center the short piece and trim on both sides and then reduce the size of all other blocks to match that one. I don't know am I just dreaming or does someone have a fix for this?
    JoAnn Calhoun

Can you match or come very close to a match of that fabric if you search all the stores that sell fabric with in driving distance? I would try that before before I changed the size of my blocks. Or I would make that one piece of the log cabin in a totally different unique color and embroidery on it my name and the date. It would in effect be my label.

That's a good idea I have just pinned them so far so I can check my stash and replace all the final stripes. Thanks I believe I was over thinking it. Not only could I replace the last if I had to I could replace the next to last also. Again thanks!
    JoAnn Calhoun

I just love reading this board. It makes me feel good to "listen" to people being nice to each other.

I wouldn't cut down all the blocks. I like Tanya's idea. It will add a bit of mystery to the quilt. Don't remember who wrote it but I read an article a while back about make-do quilts. They're quilts with one or two pieces that are different in some way. She collects them.

Edited: I found the link. Check this out.

http://www.heartspunquilts.com/make-do-primer.htm
    Last edited by quiltsRfun; 08-24-2012 at 06:26 AM.

Banned
    I agree with Tanya, too. Don't cut the other blocks. Can you post a picture of the fabric you need? I'm sure there are a lot of us here who will search our stashes and send you what you need for free.

If nothing else I would add a piece to make it the size I need and put in on the bottom, out of sight.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    If nothing else I would add a piece to make it the size I need and put in on the bottom, out of sight.
    Another good option.

Since the strips are probably narrow, I think a very close fabric choice wouldn't probably be noticed, especially if you put it at the bottom as you suggested.

Blog Entries
    Oh boy, I wouldn't change the shapes of the other blocks! Add a pretty piece like Tanya says. That is the best idea I've heard even if they ALL MATCHED! I love that idea. That will make known who did it.