Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice....looking for machine >

Need advice....looking for machine

Need advice....looking for machine

Old 04-27-2010, 06:13 AM

Hi. I know that I posted a couple of months ago about this...but I wasn't READY to purchase at that time (no $$), but now I'll be ready to purchase within the next week or 2...so I figured I'd ask.

I'm going to sound really stupid with this question probably.... but here we go. I have been piecing together quilts with my Brother machine (small sewing machine), and then I have been quilting by hand. Since I have some extra money coming, I'd like to get a machine that I can use for quilting sometimes. I have looked on the internet and have seen machines that call themselves "quilting machines," but I can't figure out how I would do anything but piecing the tops on them...because how would I get the material tight/taut in order to do the quilting without a frame of some kind??

So, I'm confused. I know I sound silly...but I've just never done anything on the machine except the piecing. So, is there a machine that I can get to do the actual quilting? Or do I need to get a mid or long arm with a frame?

Please explain! Thanks!
Cyndi
Old 04-27-2010, 06:23 AM

I would suggest that before you invest money into a machine(and this was suggested on you last thread) that you go to a dealer and test drive the different machines available to see what they can do. Also, you may want to sign up for a quilting class to learn the basics of quilting and what you can do with your machine.

Many people do all their quilting on home machines, but it's easier and faster(much more expensive) to use a long-arm machine. It all depends on the space you have, the cash you have and your needs.

From your questions, I'd really suggest you visit a dealer.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:30 AM

There are some folks on here who do some truly amazing quilting on a home machine. I bought the cheapest home machine possible that I could do free-motion quilting on a couple of years ago. (My machine bit the dust and I was underemployed). and taught myself how to free-motion quilt on it. I was not great at it.

It really depends on how much money you have saved, and what you want to do. A couple of months ago, my husband bought me my belated wedding present- a Juki 98Q and a GMQ frame. Together they were about $2100. THe Juki is a straight stitch machine- nothing fancy, just a workhorse. I realized that I didn't use all the fancy stitches on my other machine. And I love love love the frame.

IF you buy a mid-arm, you have more room to maneuver the quilt around under the needle. My teensy 5 inch Brother was not easy, and I struggled even with baby quilts.

Others here use other kinds of frames as well. Wander around in here and read your responses. If I were you, I would go to the local shops near you and look at the different options. And then I would comparison shop online. Know what you want, first though. If you are like most of us, the chance to buy a quality machine is rare financially, so pick well.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

Most of us use a regular domestic machine to do both quilting and piecing. To quilt on a regular machine, you still have to baste the quilt. Spray basting often works well for this. To quilt the middle, half of the quilt has to be under the arm; I loosely accordion pleat to fit that amount of quilt under the arm. (Alternatively, you can cut the batting into 3 pieces to reduce bulk under the arm.)

With a regular domestic machine, there are two basic ways to do the quilting -- using a walking foot, or free-motion quilting using a darning foot. A walking foot is great for straight lines or gently waving lines. For squiggles or patterns, most people drop the feed dogs and use a darning foot. In both cases, you are moving the quilt to quilt.

The other basic way to do quilting is to buy a machine and frame setup. You need to have space to set up the frame. The machine rides on a platform above the frame. Instead of basting the quilt, you mount the layers on the frame. Instead of moving the quilt sandwich around while quilting, you move the sewing machine. These machines have a different needle orientation than regular sewing machines. Basically you are facing the needle-end of the machine, and the machine has handles on each side so you can move the needle around.

Most people start out quilting on a domestic machine and only graduate to the more expensive frame setup once they are sure it is worth the space and investment for them. If you buy a domestic machine, just make sure you buy a standard size. 3/4 machines (I think the Janome Jems fit this category) can be great for piecing and carrying to class, but the space under the arm is very tight for quilting. A few domestic machines have a larger area under the arm (I think the Janome 6600 is an example).

Here is a Youtube video that demonstrates quilting with a domestic machine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHv2GV8F-8E

There are many other Youtube videos that demonstrate quilting both on domestic machines and on frame setups.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:41 AM

Use the quilt as you go method and you won't have to worry abbout space. I'm nearly finished with a quilt that has 20 blocks that are 12x12. All quiulted my machine (3 layered) and I will post a picture of the unfinished quilt. It is really a snap to do and I really like this method...

QAYG already quilted look close
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12548[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-12548.jpe  
Old 04-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Joe

Originally Posted by sunlover
Use the quilt as you go method and you won't have to worry abbout space. I'm nearly finished with a quilt that has 20 blocks that are 12x12. All quiulted my machine (3 layered) and I will post a picture of the unfinished quilt. It is really a snap to do and I really like this method...
So you make a bunch of 12" quilts then sew them together? Doesn't that leave gaps in between the blocks? And how does it work for the sashing and the borders?
Old 04-27-2010, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Most of us use a regular domestic machine to do both quilting and piecing. To quilt on a regular machine, you still have to baste the quilt. Spray basting often works well for this. To quilt the middle, half of the quilt has to be under the arm; I loosely accordion pleat to fit that amount of quilt under the arm. (Alternatively, you can cut the batting into 3 pieces to reduce bulk under the arm.)

With a regular domestic machine, there are two basic ways to do the quilting -- using a walking foot, or free-motion quilting using a darning foot. A walking foot is great for straight lines or gently waving lines. For squiggles or patterns, most people drop the feed dogs and use a darning foot. In both cases, you are moving the quilt to quilt.

The other basic way to do quilting is to buy a machine and frame setup. You need to have space to set up the frame. The machine rides on a platform above the frame. Instead of basting the quilt, you mount the layers on the frame. Instead of moving the quilt sandwich around while quilting, you move the sewing machine. These machines have a different needle orientation than regular sewing machines. Basically you are facing the needle-end of the machine, and the machine has handles on each side so you can move the needle around.

Most people start out quilting on a domestic machine and only graduate to the more expensive frame setup once they are sure it is worth the space and investment for them. If you buy a domestic machine, just make sure you buy a standard size. 3/4 machines (I think the Janome Jems fit this category) can be great for piecing and carrying to class, but the space under the arm is very tight for quilting. A few domestic machines have a larger area under the arm (I think the Janome 6600 is an example).

Here is a Youtube video that demonstrates quilting with a domestic machine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHv2GV8F-8E

There are many other Youtube videos that demonstrate quilting both on domestic machines and on frame setups.
Good. You have given some information I have wondered myself.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:58 AM

I will attempt to show some pictures of the quilt that I used QAYG method. It soesn't have the binding on the edges yet but you can see how it looks anyway.

Quilt As You Go without binding
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12834[/ATTACH]

12x12 square with quilting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12835[/ATTACH]

Quilted square closeup
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12836[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-12834.jpe   attachment-12835.jpe   attachment-12836.jpe  
Old 04-27-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Joe
Originally Posted by sunlover
So you make a bunch of 12" quilts then sew them together? Doesn't that leave gaps in between the blocks? And how does it work for the sashing and the borders?
I use basting spray between the sandwiched block and then I quilt the blocks. When all the squares are quilted you put the sashing between the squares and sew one to another. Look at the site below and it will explain the method.
Use the QAYG method from www.edonyourown.com This is what I used and it really is simple. Just follow thte directions and you are there!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:49 AM
Pam

This is a work in progress, quilted on my home machine with a 7" throat. I have also done queen sized quilts on that machine, but not so heavily quilted. I spray basted, then pin pasted this piece.

I have to admit, I hate this thing, I do like the quilting though. It is an assigned project for my art guild.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-12920.jpe