Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Advice on Machines >

Need Advice on Machines

Need Advice on Machines

Old 02-04-2016, 04:35 AM

Default Need Advice on Machines

Hi Everyone. Have watched this board forever it seems, and there is so much excellent information from everyone. I love it.
I am trying to decide between 2 machines- both used and wondering what everyone's experience is with these machines. I enjoy quilting and have recently started embroidery. I purchased a Janome 9700 a few years ago and find it is limiting - 5x7 is too small for many of the quilt blocks I would like to create and even in the hoop items seem to be limted due to the max size. Have quilted some small twins/lap size on it- and have sent to a long arm user the queen and king size quilts I have done.
I have seen the Brother Quattro 2 6700D with upgrades 3 and 4 on line for sale, used for $4500-$5000. Larger hoop (8x12) and throat size than my Janome 9700 and apparently better screen.
I have also seen some Husqavarna Viking Topaz 30-50 machines for $2000-2500. Larger hoops, but have seen some comments that this machine has had some issues with its users and not as good a stitch quality.
So, I am wondering what those who have some experience think and are the prices reasonable? Is the Brother worth $2000-2500 more? Are those prices reasonable for used machines? Is there any guides (like cars) available for used machines?
Thanks for your assistance!
Old 02-04-2016, 05:36 AM

I can reply on the Brother Quattro....fabulous machine. I used my daily for 4-5 years. Never had any problems.
Last year I traded it for the new Destiny....I still have a little buyers remorse. Actually it is "traders" remorse. Short of a few things like the larger hoop and the entry level digitizing it does (that I don't use since I have Floriani Total Control-U embroidery software), the machines do exactly the same thing, with almost the exact features. Sometimes I wish I could have kept my Quattro and gotten the Destiny. Hind sight...20/20.
You will not go wrong with that machine, or any Brother/Baby Lock machine. I have presently 4 Baby Lock machines, not a problem with any of them, and one travels all summer in my motor home.
whatever machine you choose, try to get as many lessons as possible, and don't be discouraged
Old 02-04-2016, 08:23 PM

Quattro is very awesome and for embroidery it can't be beat IMHO, but I just sewed on a viking saphire and found the stitch quality better. I still love my brother/babylocks though and they do tend to seem to have less problems that I have seen in different forums when compared to vikings and are easier to use. There are pros and cons to both which is why test driving is important as each has their own features that are better than the other you just have to decide which features you prefer
Old 02-05-2016, 03:48 AM

I upgraded from my Janom 9700 to the Janome 9900. I love my machine but reality check, I don't do a ton of embroidery but I love this machine for what I do embroider. The harp space is not the largest on the market but I don't care. I mostly piece anyway. sandy