Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice on Notions >

Need advice on Notions

Need advice on Notions

Old 01-09-2011, 10:26 AM

I suggest a 24 inch ruler or something of that size. For cutting blocks or straight lines.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:30 AM

A good quality stiletto like an awl, some tweezers (IMO important), magnetic wand.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
My personal rule is to buy notions when you need them not in anticipation of using them.
Aw, Holice. That takes all the fun out of it. Maybe men are more practical than women. LOL
Old 01-09-2011, 02:37 PM

Small scissors to trim theads. If you live in Mississippi there must be Hancock Fabrics there. They have some nice little ones for $2.99. Personally, instead of starch, use Best Press. It's a great starch alternative. Many quilters use this stuff. Hancock Fabrics have that there too and is often on sale.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:22 PM

I'm starting a list!! I see that I need a 12.5x12.5 square RIGHT NOW!! LOL I can use that with my embroidery, too. I like to have things on hand :) rather than fiddling around trying to find the right thing in my house. I hate to have to leave a project and run to the store!! I get totally off track.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:41 AM

If you're like me you'll need 'all things plastic'!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:16 AM

a magnetic pin holder is necessary for me. I use mine as I remove the quilter safety pins when quilting. Saw a darling idea on on the web (here's a link that JJean shared: http://luannkessi.blogspot.com/2010/...ncushions.html - there are other links posted if you search "magnetic dish" ) where you can make your own. Purchase a small vintage dish or saucer from an antique-y store and glue a couple of magnets to the underside of it. I plan on doing this for my sil as part of her birthday gift. And one for Moi while I'm at it. :-)

Please note that these should not be used too near a computerized sewing machine. I keep mine an arm's length away (hope that's far enough! so far, so good.)
Old 01-10-2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Hate to say it but a seam ripper will come in handy. Are you machine or hand sewing? Needles, pins, scissors. A good beginners project would be a cute pincushion which will also come in handy. And the most obvious - fabric.
I have the magnetic pincushion, round - keeps those pins where they should be. Also, a magnetic wand to pick up those pins if they happen to fall on the floor. Get that at Harbor Freight. I have a little mug to put in my needle nose plier, my orange stick, pencil, marking pens, etc.. a small container with hand lotion,and my favorite - the Omni Edge. It is an 18x3 lined ruler with a little catch across the top that catches the edge of your cutting mat. It is a godsend, my audiobooks and the telephone - (don't want to get up while I am busy). That's it for me! I think - or unless I find something new to play with. Edie
Old 01-10-2011, 04:31 AM

My seam ripper is my best friend!! LOL
Old 01-10-2011, 05:16 AM

There's a gadget called the "purple thang" that is akin to a stilleto. It's plastic so it won't hurt your machine when trying to catch the bobbin thread, guide fabric, etc.

Everyone else's suggestions are great so can't add more for notions. But, (isn't there always a "but" :-) )one of hte handiest things I have is a tool holder from Joann's. It's canvas, about 6" x 8" x 8" tall, and has lots of pockets. I keep it right nesxt to the machine so I can easily grab those tweezers, screw driver, little brush, etc.