Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Advice on Pattern/ Template/Rulers for Vines in a Border >

Need Advice on Pattern/ Template/Rulers for Vines in a Border

Need Advice on Pattern/ Template/Rulers for Vines in a Border

Old 03-26-2013, 09:10 AM

Default Need Advice on Pattern/ Template/Rulers for Vines in a Border

I am working on my first full-size quilt and it's called Sweet Pea's Garden from Flirty Thirties by Cynthia Tomazewski. See- http://www.amazon.com/Quilting-Those...thirties+quilt

I have all the central blocks almost complete, but I would like to vary the pattern by using a flowering vine in the border instead of the flowers there now, which of course, I don't know how to do. I looked at a couple of templates-one by Quilt in a Day and one by Terry Clothier Thompson. See http://www.quiltknit.com/5474-RU-THE....html&catid=22.

I have also looked for patterns. I kind of like the vine in Aunt Millie's Garden. See http://www.amazon.com/Aunt-Millies-G...der_1571204571,

I am confused about the best way to go about doing this. Has anyone used either of the template rulers or used a pattern that worked? I would appreciate any assistance you can provide. The border will be 10" finished.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

I don't use a template for vines. I starch yardage, then cut bias strips of fabric that I run through a Clover bias-making template. This folds both edges towards the center. (Starch helps keep the folds crisp.) These are very flexible and I just pin or glue-baste them into position along with the flowers. From what I saw of Aunt Millie's vine, this technique would well for it.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:50 AM

Prism99, thanks for your assistance. I am not sure I can get it to look even without some kind of pattern or template. How do you keep it even?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

The starch keeps the folds sharp, and the sharp folds keep it even. Have you ever used the Clover bias tape makers? They are easy once you get the hang of them. (I used it upside down the first few times. When all else fails, read the directions.....). You might want to pick up one of the Clover bias tape makers and try it out. It's a lot less work than other methods I have tried, and works great for me. The tape makers come in different sizes. You want the type with a colored plastic insert (color-coding of size) as this works the best. Here is a link to the one I like:
http://www.amazon.com/Clover-Makers-...dp/B00579GQ7U/

The 1/4" and 1/2" are the ones I use the most. The Aunt Millie's vine looks like it might be a 1/2"; if not, then 1/4".

Alternatively, you can buy the Simplicity bias tape maker with assorted tips. I honestly do not see the need for this at all.

There are a few tips that make the Clover makers easier to use. One is to starch the fabric before cutting the bias strips. Another is to cut the leading edge at an angle to make it easier to get started through the maker. The first 6" or so of the strip are always a little wonky, so I allow for that and make extra. After getting the strip started, I simply make sure that I keep my iron close to the Clover maker so that the fold is pressed just as it is coming out of the tool.

If there are any small variations in vining strips, that is actually normal -- both in nature and in hand-made things. I don't mind variations and, anyway, they are so small no one but me typically ever notices them.

Here is a Youtube demo of how to use the tool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-EkfTfjRFs
Hers would have gone better if she had starched the fabric first!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

I just took the time to check out the "Vine Line" link in your original post and see that this template is simply for placement of vines, not for making the vines. Looks like it is for fairly tight curves, so wouldn't be something I would use. I tend to simply lay out the vines by eye -- sometimes using a long piece of paper the size of the border, folded in half and half again to get the border divided evenly.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I just took the time to check out the "Vine Line" link in your original post and see that this template is simply for placement of vines, not for making the vines. Looks like it is for fairly tight curves, so wouldn't be something I would use. I tend to simply lay out the vines by eye -- sometimes using a long piece of paper the size of the border, folded in half and half again to get the border divided evenly.
Thank you so much Prism99!!!! That helps quite a bit. I really and truly appreciate all the time you took to respond. After looking at that vine again, I agree with you. It is a bit tight. I will try the paper folding idea. I am just a bit nervous since I never did it before.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

If you want to ensure you have an evenly spaced curve that s the same throughout just go to any office supply store an buy a flexable ruler. You can shape it for tight or loose curves then simply mark your fabric with a water soluble marker for your vine placement. I use this tool to mark quilting lines as well. It costs a whopping $4. The below link is just to show you a picture of what I am talking about. I picked mine up at a Staples.

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discou...FciiPAodwioAMA
Old 03-27-2013, 04:56 AM

http://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/detail/498

This is the template I use, with a video showing how to use it. You can see more how to videos for it at Quilt In A Day. You can also buy it at Joann's.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I don't use a template for vines. I starch yardage, then cut bias strips of fabric that I run through a Clover bias-making template. This folds both edges towards the center. (Starch helps keep the folds crisp.) These are very flexible and I just pin or glue-baste them into position along with the flowers. From what I saw of Aunt Millie's vine, this technique would well for it.
I have done a lot of hand applique in the past, and this is the method I use also!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:20 AM

I saw this in a quilt magazine... First make your vines. Then put fusible web on the back of your vines ( I am assuming you are doing your applique this way if not, you will have to pin your vines down). Make a template out of freezer paper. You are going to use it in a reverse fashion. First draw your vine on the fp and then cut it out. Now lay the sheet of fp that has the vine shape cut out, on the quilt, put the fabric vine in the opening in the paper that you cut out. Either pin or fuse down. Doing it this way ensures that your vine look the same all the way around. I hope this is clear to you. It's like reverse applique. I will try to find the magazine I was looking at so that maybe you can look at what the author said. Gina