Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need advice on selling ragged old quilt

Need advice on selling ragged old quilt

Years ago I purchased an old quilt, all made by hand, that needs lots of work to bring back its beauty. I think the pattern is Dresden Plate and most of the colors have held up well. But a few of the fabrics, particularly the sashing strips are rotting away. The top is sew loosely to a plaid blanket (waste not indeed!) and there is a backing. The whole thing is in very poor shape, but I know its just right for a restoration project for someone. I have finally admitted I am not that someone.

The question is, how/where do I sell it? If I gave it to a thrift shop, it probably would be trashed or bundled for fiber recycling. I could try eBay, but there are so many quilts for sale there, I just don't know, especially cause of its condition. Ideas?
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

Are you a guild member? If not, perhaps you could search out a local guild and they would allow you to bring it for show and tell or at the very least submit a picture to them so they could share it at their business meeting. Also, some quilt shops will have a bulletin board or even sell on consignment for you.

Power Poster
    There may be a brave soul that would pay for the privilege to save an antique top but I don't have any idea on how to find them. Not my cup of tea.

Blog Entries
    Could you place an ad for it on the QB? I'll bet there's someone here who would like to take on the project. There are rules for posting ads here:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...g-t169124.html

Also, there's the SewItsForSale group on Yahoo. It is exclusively for people to buy and sell items related to sewing.
    If you don't already have one, you have to create a Yahoo ID, but it's free to join.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-18-2013 at 01:55 PM.

I really don't think you could sell it, but who knows? There might be someone interested. You could give it away much easier, someone may be interested in restoring. Do you have a recycle website near you where you advertise things to be given away in your community?

Blog Entries
    I should add that on the QB you can post a PIF (pay it forward) ad if you'd rather just give it to someone instead of selling it. I think you can ask for actual postage cost on a PIF, but check board rules for that area. In any case, you would want to post several photos of the quilt showing the damage so that only someone willing to take on that much work springs for the quilt.

Blog Entries
    I'm working on one right now my sister got at Goodwill (her employment) for $2.00. Had a 3 corner tear that was difficult. Going to put an applique on that since it's on the border. A few seams came open so stitched those. I would contact your local guild or LQS they might be interested in using it for a quilt restoration class.

Power Poster
    It would be helpful to see pictures of this in order to give more useful suggestions.

There are quilts that have given long and faithful service - and deserve to be retired - or, gasp! - in the trash.

Not every quilt is worth saving - believe it or not!