Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Advice on Sturdy Sewing Tables >

Need Advice on Sturdy Sewing Tables

Need Advice on Sturdy Sewing Tables

Old 02-12-2013, 07:02 AM

Default Need Advice on Sturdy Sewing Tables

I'm searching for a sewing desk that is sturdy and won't wobble when my machine is running 90 miles a minute! LOL

I'd like a sewing table/desk with an insert for the machine, but it is not a necessity. I'm just thinking I might has well invest in one if there's a durable, but inexpensive one out there.

I'm really not wanting to spend more than $250.

I've read through the previous searches/comments on tables, but am not sure how stable the setups were once the machine was in use.

Thanks,
Michelle
Old 02-12-2013, 07:08 AM

I have been using an old office desk which I salvaged from our company. It is stable and it holds my serger, a 40-pound quilting machine and my new Janome Horizon machine. It's about 48"x60". Or you can buy an Ikea table, which most of the site members recommend.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I bought the table JoAnns sell when it was a Black Friday special. It's very heavy. It is made by Arrow and looks the same as the Gidget. No wheels and it will fold up but too heavy to tote anywhere for me. The inset is adjustable. I have my Bernina in it with the extension table. The chain is fitted with long turnscrews that can be put in any link. I'm very happy with it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]394723[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg  
Old 02-12-2013, 07:32 AM

I just got my first sewing machine for Christmas this year so I'm definitely not the best source of information, but we bought a solid wood dining table (rectangular, about 5ft long and 3ft wide) from Walmart for $100 that I'm using and it's been great so far. I didn't expect to have so much working surface but it has worked out well for me. Bonus - it looks nice and can double as an extra table when we have too many guests for our normal dining set
Old 02-12-2013, 07:37 AM

A couple of the guild gals have this one

http://seweziusa.com/

It looks very stable when they use it
Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

I've seen some very nice sewing tables on craigslist for very reasonable prices. I've also seen them discounted at big quilt shows, often damaged with a chip or some other kind of cosmetic ding that wouldn't affect their use. Smaller quilt shows sometimes have a "garage sale" booth. Even sewing machine shops sometimes have discontinued models or damaged items for sale. The one thing I don't recommend is the folding tables, like Costco sells. I started out on one of those, and the vibration was terrible when the sewing machine was running. I think getting the machine at the right height is one of the most important things for your comfort while sewing, so recessing it is usually necessary for me.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 AM

My fiend made my sewing table from an old desk that has all the drawers. He eliminated the center drawer, cut out the top of desk for the machine to fit and added narrow shelf for the machine to rest on. I have plenty of space on top and the drawers really come in handy. The desk was a "gift" from a friend as she was giving it away. You might be able to find them at thrift stores cheap. It should read "my friend" not fiend lol

Last edited by Kathy Osterby; 02-12-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-12-2013, 10:20 AM

A friend of mine has the Gidget II and loves it! It's on the small side, but she says it's very sturdy, even when motoring along with her quilting. Here's a link if you'd like to take a look. And it's in the price range you mentioned . . .

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arrow-Gidg...Table/17366037
Old 02-12-2013, 11:28 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I started with a regular wood desk but decided i wanted an insert type of sewing desk after a while.. I searched craiglsist everyday for a month.. And eventually I was able to get this wonderful old HEAVY wood sewing desk for $200.. she was moving and didn't want to take it with her.. It was worth every penny.. I love it..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]394783[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 5ga5q55h13e63i13mec8m9ed2768bddd11136.jpg  
Old 02-12-2013, 12:00 PM

I just happen to see this on Pintrest today ~ http://frommartawithlove.com/diy-ike...able-tutorial/