Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need advice......... >

need advice.........

need advice.........

Old 07-31-2014, 04:01 PM

Default need advice.........

I have been making rag quilts....I want to sell them at flea markets . How do you decide how much to sell them for?
I have made mostly local Nfl teams and college teams. Also did a few Duck Dynasty ones. Most are 2 solid color squares,with 1 nfl team etc. The quilts are 8 squares across by 11 rows down.....6 inch squares ANY IDEAS ????
thanks
Old 07-31-2014, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

How much is your time worth?
How much have your materials and supplies cost?
How much do you want to make?

Add them up and you have your answer!
Old 07-31-2014, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

It's hard to make money by quilting, but sports-related quilts might sell well. Like QuiltE said, figure out your costs and labor, then decide whether you can sell the items for the amount you need to make a profit. Remember that you will need to keep records and pay taxes, and that includes paying a hefty social security and medicare tax of more than 15% on your profit. You may also need a business license, and the flea market may charge for your booth. It all adds up, so don't price your items too low or you will wind up with nothing for your work.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:41 PM

Study your competition and their prices. Realistically compare their quality to yours. Figure out the costs you have in your quilts and factor in something for your time. Set your prices above your costs and in line with your competition.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
It's hard to make money by quilting, but sports-related quilts might sell well. Like QuiltE said, figure out your costs and labor, then decide whether you can sell the items for the amount you need to make a profit. Remember that you will need to keep records and pay taxes, and that includes paying a hefty social security and medicare tax of more than 15% on your profit. You may also need a business license, and the flea market may charge for your booth. It all adds up, so don't price your items too low or you will wind up with nothing for your work.
Good Call Dunster ... there are a lot of Indirect Costs that need to be factored in!
Old 07-31-2014, 06:47 PM

Personally, I don't think that you'll get your money back from selling at a flea market. People go to flea markets to get or sell stuff CHEAP. I think what I would do is see if there are some "gift" shops and talk to the owner/store manager about displaying your quilts.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:53 PM

A friend of mine used to make quillows she sold at a local gift shop about 10 years ago. She charged $60.00 for them. They sold very well, but it got to be not worth her while even though she could make one in an evening.