Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice >

Need advice

Need advice

Old 09-01-2016, 08:35 AM

Default Need advice

I have been thinking about getting a EQ-7 to help me design quilts. However it is pricey and wonder if it would really be worth it. I am new to quilting and have only done 4. I am wanting to do a quilt panel quilt with panel in the center but cannot seem to figure how to lay out. I have the panel which I put a 2 1/2 inch boarder around it so far measures 26 x 44. I would like the quilt to measure 54" by 80". My problem is I cannot figure out how large to make each block and have this center in the quilt. Not good with graphs and drawing patterns. I do have a design wizard program on my computer but cannot add a picture of the panel to work this out. What do you all think? I have taught computer classes and thought I might be able to pick up working with the EQ-7 quickly but after readying several reviews not sure what to do. I just want to do quilting and have fun at it instead of feeling like a chore to complete.

Thanks for advice
Old 09-01-2016, 09:05 AM

You may want to add another border to make your center divisible in both directions by the block size you want to add. Like make it 30 X 48 finished, don't forget to add your seam allowance to this. Then you could add 6 inch blocks around. I don't have any input on the EQ.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:11 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

eQ has a stripped down version for much less. Look at it; you can always upgrade later.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:17 AM

I've done quite a few quilts but I don't vary from the directions.
Had to have the program & haven't used it yet. Would still like to though.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:40 AM

Personally, I find that graph paper, a ruler, and some colored pencils work best for mapping out designs. If you're doing curved pieces add a compass or some different-sized stencils.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

To center your panel, subtract the measurements from the target finished size & divide by 2. So your current panel width is 26 and your target width is 54. The difference is 28". You want an even number on both sides, so divide 28/2, which gives you 14" on each side.
your target length is 80 and you have 44 in your panel. The difference is 36. To have the same at the top & bottom, divide this by 2, so you need 18" to fill. Now you have to find a block that will work in both a 14" and 18" space. Personally, I would go with a 6" block. 2 will fill the 14" space and 3 will fill the 18". Then add a 2" border on the 2 sides to make up the difference between 12" and 14". I probably would also add the same border to the top and bottom, making the finished quilt 54X84.
I have worked a lot with vector based (Illustrator) and paint-type graphic programs. I have found the EQ-7 interface to be very different from either one of these. I usually do the actual block design in Illustrator, then use EQ7 for layout for both color and block placement.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

If you buy EQ7, look at the price on quiltinaday. You have to the item in your shopping basket to see the reduced price.

The mini version of EQ does not appear to have the capability to design your own blocks. I don't think it's worth buying without that feature. I don't know how it compares to Design Wizard, which I do have (in addition to EQ7). I bought both at the same time because Design Wizard was so cheap - but I only use EQ.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:45 PM

One feature I like and use a lot with my EQ7 is the ability to lay out a quilt with different size blocks--which is what it sounds like you are talking about. I do t-shirt quilts for customers and have found that this feature alone with EQ7 has paid for EQ on it's own. It also allows you to play with sizes of quilts and if you don't like the results, you can save and start over. And I especially like the ability to play with layout of blocks I'm using. Ditto color choices. And recently I took a class on using it to sample quilting designs. So yes, I think it's been worth the $$. Think of it as 18-20 yards of fabric (a couple of quilts) and how it may allow you to create some real beauties!
Old 09-02-2016, 10:13 AM

I am in the graph paper, pencil, ruler and eraser group. I think this part is one of my favorite in making a new quilt. I can spend days playing with the design until I get it just the way I want it.
I get a great satisfaction from doing it myself.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:14 PM

I am also in the graph paper group...even though I own EQ7, I've never taken the time to learn it. I kind of like doing the math myself (yep, I'm a nerd). I got it as a gift...not sure I ever would have bought it for myself!