Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Advice using Avery Printable Fabric >

Need Advice using Avery Printable Fabric

Need Advice using Avery Printable Fabric

Old 03-31-2010, 04:43 AM

I'm making (or trying to make) a memory quilt for my granddaughter. The pattern calls for about 12 photos and I've printed most of them on Avery #3384 Printable Fabric. The colors are exquisite. HOWEVER, these fabric sheets have a heat seal backing and the printed photo is "stiff." The instructions say you can "iron or sew on," but to what? I just wanted to use the photo blocks in a quilt, not iron on a tote or anything, but they feel too stiff for a quilt. Is the backing supposed to be peeled off for that purpose (can't see how to do that).

I tried using other peelable fabric sheets and the colors and resolution is no where near the quality of the Avery sheets. I'm confused. Thanks for ANY advice.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:23 AM

If they are printed and you really like it, you have to iron them onto muslim and use them. I don't like any iron on because they are too stiff. I like the Printed Treasures ones. You peel the back and is as soft as your regular fabric. You can also cut out fabric (regular fabric) with freezer paper on the back to the size of printer paper, and print you photos. Them you need bubble jet set to fix the images. Printed treasures sheets have the fixative in them, but can not be used on laser printers.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:26 AM

You will have to fuse them to fabric, by peeling off the back and ironing on.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:36 AM

I tried the Printed Treasures and the colors and resolution were very dull. I also made some fabric sheets with freezer paper, used the Bubble Jet rinse, etc, and printed with no problem, but the colors in the photos were also very dull and lifeless -- maybe it was the fabric I used. You see, I want it all - LOL - I want the vibrant colors I get on Avery, but I don't want it stiff. Thanks to everyone for your advice.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:10 AM

You might try ironing them on a piece of muslin then taking them off while still hot and throwing the muslin away. That should remove some of the sticky stuff and some of the stiffness. Try it on a piece you aren't planning on using to make sure it works for you. I've never tried it on Avery Fabric but I have on other things. You may still have to iron them onto some other fabric but a lot of the stiffness should be gone.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:41 AM

That's a good idea - tearing it off while it's hot - worth a try. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by jodyd
That's a good idea - tearing it off while it's hot - worth a try. Thanks.
Try it on a piece that you're not planning on using first. That way if it doesn't work you won't have ruined anything but a piece of the Avery stuff. In the future you might try Precious Memories---that's what I use and really like it, or you might see if Avery has one that's not an iron-on.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:16 PM

Well, in case anyone is wondering, I tried immediately removing the backing while it was still very hot, and NOOO - would not come off - it bonds permanently. I also got an answer back from Avery that the backing could not be removed. So, unless I want a stiff quilt, will have to be satisfied with muted photos. I'm going to try EQ's - did NOT have good luck with Printed Treasures or my own.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:25 PM

I wonder if they will be as stiff once it is washed. maybe try putting one on a block of fabric and then washing and drying it just to see what it will feel like! shoot maybe wash it a couple times just to see if it will soften up.