Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice on vintage quilt.... >

Need advice on vintage quilt....

Need advice on vintage quilt....

Old 01-29-2016, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I think if you look around you'll find something suitable. I got 300 yards of fabric from my Sis that she bought in the 70's, and it's pretty much very small floral patterns. I've been told that is getting popular again.

It is funny though, because I also got some UFO quilts from my Mom that she was working on during that time frame, and they also came with white backing. I know my mom used white or muslin for the quilts she made. I don't think she ever considered using a print. Don't know if that was common, or just my Mom.

Might have been common back then, IDK? I do know that both girls would prefer something different than the white. I thought about using it for sashing on a couple of them, since they will be smaller.

The one that I have started is really cute so far. I've got only 6 blocks done, because mom cut the pieces by hand, so some of the bocks end up wonky and I have to pick out the seams and fix them. But I'm getting there. I'm determined to finish it before baby Zoe shows up. LOL I know that Y seams are not my favorite, and thank goodness for Utube, or I would still be struggling with those.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:09 PM

are the bow ties prints? If so I'd use a solid or something that reads like a solid. Lots of teal, rust, black, cobalt blue, avacado or moss green, orange as I remember the 60's!
Old 01-30-2016, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

Back in "those" days, one never thought to use regular fabric on the back..wide cream or white muslin was common as well as solid 45" goods. The use of those fabrics was more economical. Specific quilting fabric lines started emerging at that time..Quilting was becoming a lost art in the late 60's and early 70's. A resurgence happened with the American Bicentennial....and we keep moving forward...
Old 01-30-2016, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz View Post
No Suggestions, but oh my it's depressing to hear "vintage" and "60s-80s" in the same sentence!!!!!!!
Ain't that the truth!
Old 01-30-2016, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
are the bow ties prints? If so I'd use a solid or something that reads like a solid. Lots of teal, rust, black, cobalt blue, avacado or moss green, orange as I remember the 60's!
Here's what I have so far. As you can see, its even got a vegetable print in it. Mom had a massive stroke, but she's still with us. When we take the baby to see her, we want to hand her to her wrapped in this quilt. My DIL and I are kind of sentimental about this quilt. It will be a cute scrappy quilt. My DIL loves the vegi print. She says it makes it unique and will always make her think of my mom.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541506[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20160130_105542_zpszj7sbifu.jpg  
Old 01-30-2016, 09:33 AM

Oh my, I was born in 41 so I am not vintage but maybe real old.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:13 AM

Here's some of the blocks for my grandsons quilt. He will be here in may, so I've got some time yet on this quilt. We've attempted to replicate some of what mom was thinking with the color combinations, since she had them in sets of 8.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541512[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20160130_115924_zps0axs9xl5.jpg  
Old 01-30-2016, 11:09 AM

Oh, that first one is reminiscent of the whole, "back-to-the-land/homestead" movement in the late 60s and early 70s. Everything was calico prints and gardening themes. (Remember granny dresses? Katherine Ross' dresses in Butch Cassidy?) I'm sure that you can find fabrics to match up with that. The second one looks a little more quaint...perhaps a nod to the 30s. There's lots of mens' shirt prints in that...again, with little, calico prints. Try looking on Connecting Threads site. They have a lot of this kind of stuff. and, as I mentioned before, Effies, on EBay has a lot of these prints as well.

Thanks for sharing...the quilts are going to be beautiful and straight from the heart.

~ C
Old 01-30-2016, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Oh, that first one is reminiscent of the whole, "back-to-the-land/homestead" movement in the late 60s and early 70s. Everything was calico prints and gardening themes. (Remember granny dresses? Katherine Ross' dresses in Butch Cassidy?) I'm sure that you can find fabrics to match up with that. The second one looks a little more quaint...perhaps a nod to the 30s. There's lots of mens' shirt prints in that...again, with little, calico prints. Try looking on Connecting Threads site. They have a lot of this kind of stuff. and, as I mentioned before, Effies, on EBay has a lot of these prints as well.

Thanks for sharing...the quilts are going to be beautiful and straight from the heart.

~ C
Thank you so much!!! I'm so very green at this, that having someone familiar with the fabrics of that era is, to me, priceless! I do really appreciate your input. I checked Effies yesterday and put that shop in my list and will keep watching. I'll head over to Connecting Threads and see what I can find there. I'm excited to have places to watch! We used to have a company here that did estate sales, and I thought I would maybe luck out and find something at one of their sales, but they haven't had any sales this winter.

We felt that it was a great way to honor her, and maybe put a smile on her face. <3
Old 01-30-2016, 12:14 PM

Yep, to me fabric from the 60's to 80's would not be vintage. I guess I'm dating myself.