Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need Advise on BASTING Spray FOR QUILTS

Want to thank all of you for the advice on spraying a quilt together. Hugs,
    IdahoSandy

Blog Entries
    I use 505 in the red can, I do mine on the floor and then wash the over spray off the floor, I have done up to a super king size with spray basting. It is wonderful, no pins and I have not had any trouble with needles gumming up.
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

If I hand quilt sometimes it may take a few months to get the quilting finished will the spraying last that long? Does the needle go thru the layers or will it get gummed up.

Blog Entries
    I use the same method as Grambi. I learned on my first quilt to not use too much. This is the only method I would use.
    You will get what you expect to get.

Blog Entries
    I use Grambi method. Works great. Use sparingly or it will gum up the needle.
    You will get what you expect to get.

Blog Entries
    I used some 505 spray on a wall hanging and it left a spots. The fabric did have some synthetic in it. Therefore I have not used it since. But I do remember that one should remove their eye glasses when using and good ventalation..............

When I did mine (before I got my long arm) I didnt use basting spray I just used lots and lots of safty pins (I was doing crosshatch so I knew were not to put them (pined on my dining room table covered in cardbord (thick) so as not to scratch my table - I then double check for lumps on the opisite side....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna H-M View Post
    I use 2 tables outside in my garage. I tape edges of backing down. Then I layer and smooth everything out. I fold back one side of batting and top, spray onto backing, lay back in place and smooth. Repeat other side. I then fold back top and spray onto batting, lay back and smooth. Repeat and it's done. Never had a problem and wouldn't do it any other way.......Donna
    This is how I do mine, I lay it out on the carpet in the front room. That old carpet is absolutely awful to vacuum, it's nylon and thread sticks to it like it's Velcro. I have to use a stiff chenille brush to get stray threads out of it. But, that makes it GREAT for basting quilts, hee hee! I lay the back down, stick some pins in the corners, and it's not going anywhere! I'm also cautious when spraying near the edge, I spray from the outside of the quilt inwards.

Quote Originally Posted by JUNEBUG View Post
    If I hand quilt sometimes it may take a few months to get the quilting finished will the spraying last that long? Does the needle go thru the layers or will it get gummed up.
    The first quilt that I spray basted I used Sullivans & then thread basted it also. I took me 2 1/2 yrs to hand quilt it. I didn't need the thread basting 'cause the spray basting lasted!

My needle didn't gum up. I did not even notice any difference.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    Once you spray the basting spray, can your backing or top be repositioned, if it's done within a few minutes? I bought some Dritz, but have not had occasion to use it yet. I'm sorta intimidated by it, afraid I'll have wrinkles or bubbles or ???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast