Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need an alternative to pinning on the floor

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonC
    I placed a large tablecloth (vinyl) on the garage wall, using velcro.
    SharonC! I love this velcro idea. I wanted to use this method and the only suitable wall is in my hallway. The thought of taping newspaper to the wall discourages me, and I end up on the floor. But the velcro idea is Fabulous!!! I'll be able to leave the velcro on the wall and simply fold up the tablecloth when I'm done. I love it when people think outside the box... Thanks!!

Blog Entries
    For about 3 years I have been sandwiching my quilts on my design wall. Nothing fancy. Just 2 sheets of rigid insulation I bought at Home Depot. I don't put felt or flannel or the insulation. Pin your backing on the insulation, smoothing well, pin at top and along the sides and along the bottom. Spray with spray baste, put your batting on and using straight pins attach to the backing. Spray baste the batting and then attach the quilt top. I usually put a few safety pins around the edges just to keep it stable while I am wrestling it around for the quilting.

Blog Entries
    Sharon Schamber methods works great for guild basting days. Everyone loves to sit and baste and talk.

Quote Originally Posted by sewTinker
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonC
    I placed a large tablecloth (vinyl) on the garage wall, using velcro.
    SharonC! I love this velcro idea. I wanted to use this method and the only suitable wall is in my hallway. The thought of taping newspaper to the wall discourages me, and I end up on the floor. But the velcro idea is Fabulous!!! I'll be able to leave the velcro on the wall and simply fold up the tablecloth when I'm done. I love it when people think outside the box... Thanks!!
    You're so welcome! This has saved me so much pain and since it's quicker I tend to quilt as I finish tops, instead of accumulating tops like I did in the past :)

Blog Entries
    i used my folding table a lot. first it was my folding brown picnic table but then i got the white one at JoAnn's. i pin the center, then move the quilt, reclip the edges, pin and so on.

I can't get on the floor either. I intend to buy 2 or 3 sheets of that insalation(spelling???oh well), tape them together and hang my layers on that and spray baste them together. I hope to be ready to do that this weekend. Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Sashing-Sarah709
    Wow! Thank you guys so much for all the suggestions and ideas. :) I watched the videos--I would never have thought of doing it that way in a million years. I think I'll use my table this time since I'm just finishing this quilt but I'm very interested in trying the table cloth on the wall idea. You know, it almost sounds too good to be true! LOL I love this message board and I can't tell you how mice it is that you don't mind letting newbies to quilting ask questions. Thank you again for all the good ideas--you guys rock! :)
    And thanks for asking the question. Some of us newbies (me)don't even know what to ask. Pinned a quilt on the floor a few days ago, and didn't like it. Lots of great ideas for next time - thanks!

Blog Entries
    I have two of the folding plastic tables that are about 3X6 '
    They stay behind the sofa.
    When I need to baste, I pull them out and place them side by side in the middle of the living room. They fit right overtop of the coffee table.
    When I'm done, they fold up and go back behind the sofa.

Blog Entries
    If you belong to a church, sometimes they will let you take your quilt there and use there tables.

Yep, I think asking at your LQS is a good idea.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast