Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need binding help >

need binding help

need binding help

Old 07-13-2015, 12:45 PM

Default need binding help

Ok, I know better, but what's done is done!!! I just put the binding on my quilt and quarter inch is way off. it's like maybe 1/2 inch. So, I don't really have enough to turn and sew down on other side without it looking terrible. I thought about trimming all the sides about a 1/4 inch off, but then I think that would mess the corners up. I don't want to rip the binding off, but guess I might have to. Any suggestions? I thought I might have enough to turn, but sadly I don't. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:50 PM

Rip it, rip it, rip it. Lol. You need to take it off and re sew. You won't be happy with it if you don't. It will be worth it. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:52 PM

What about stitching at the 1/4" mark that you need and then tearing out the original stitching? It should work as long as your edges are even (quilt and binding).
Old 07-13-2015, 02:17 PM

I think I would take it off to start over, but I would first go have a good cold beer, and maybe even a piece of chocolate! Good Luck, it'll be ok.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:30 PM

OK, you know what you have to do Go with Latrinka's suggestion and then get that ripper out. Maybe you can find a good movie to watch as you work. Not something we ever really want to do, I know.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:55 PM

After ripping, be sure to test your seam before sewing the whole binding. I usually sew about 20 inches, then try folding back to make sure everything is lining up. If it isn't at that point there's not as much to undo.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:31 PM

Start again...I also do a test of about 10 inches..to make sure I like how much folds to the back...especially if I am going to sew the back on by machine too...I sew always from the front for the first ripun and then to sew the binding to the back....I do not like to sew the binding on the back and then turn it over and sew it down on the front..I don't like that stitch line showingkn the front ...
Old 07-13-2015, 04:00 PM

Ok, I ripped it out. It will be right next time. Thanks for responses. I don't have any wine, but I do have some brownies. Think I will go eat one or two.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:56 PM
RST

Well, if you really just can't face the tedious picking, you could just cut off the whole binding and that 1/2ish bit of quilt using a rotary ruler and a good sharp blade. Then overcast the fresh cut edge with a wide zigzag and begin again with new binding and a new respect for an accurate 1/4 inch.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:21 PM

You need to take off the binding and start over. Your binding might be stretched out of shape after doing this, so you will probably want to cut new binding strips. Alternatively, if you have a wide border you could use your rotary cutter and trim the binding off, then start with new binding strips.