Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a bit of help preparing for the Cinci Quilt Show >

Need a bit of help preparing for the Cinci Quilt Show

Need a bit of help preparing for the Cinci Quilt Show

Old 04-08-2011, 03:17 PM

OK...I've never been to a quilt show and now that I'm going to one in the AM, all of a sudden I'm nervous! :oops:
So...I wondered if ya'll could help me with a couple of things...please :D Like....

Can I take water in my bag? or snacks??
Do they have machines (sewing, embroidery, etc) set up there for you to try?
Can you buy stuff there? Like do they have displays only or stuff for sale as well?
If they do have stuff to sell, is it regular priced or marked up or down??
Can I take pictures of all the eye candy?
Are there things I should avoid?
Is there any "do NOT miss" things?

That's all I can think of now but PLEASE feel free to give me any advice :D OMGosh...I'm SO excited!!!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:21 PM

If this is the one you are going to, here's the website that has a wealth of information...Really big show, wear comfortable shoes.....and have a ton of fun...

http://www.quilts.com/newHome/shows/...SpringFestival
Old 04-08-2011, 03:27 PM

You need to ask when you get there if you can take pictures. Do not handle the quilts, if you want to see the back ask someone with white gloves to show you, they should be able to answer any questions you may have. They usually have demonstrations of some sort and vendors. Some shows have workshops/classes. I'd leave the water & snacks behind.

Have fun!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:30 PM

I'm thinking different shows have different rules. But DON'T TOUCH THE QUILTS is probably a biggie for all - there are special ladies with white gloves that have the honor of turning the quilts so you can see the back sides.

Most show have vendors that offer some 'show specials' - some allow photos, some not.

Have a blast & if pictures are allowed - send some our way!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:44 PM

Have a great time. Have you pre-registered for any classes? Lots of the 'big' names in the industry will be there. Be prepared to be 'awed'. Wear the most comfortable shoes that you have. Lots of merchants--again, it is lots of the actual designers and manufacturers. You get to talk and see demos from the real deal.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:50 PM

comfortable shoes, some don't allow any carts that roll, water is usually ok, if they have vendors they sell stuff, usually they allow pictures of the display quilts, but some vendors have signs that say no pics. Enjoy
Old 04-08-2011, 03:52 PM

I attended a local quilt show today. I tend to spend more time shopping than I do looking at the quilts! :)

Most vendors have specials and regular priced items. Lots of books and patterns and kits. Usually something for everyone.

I take water and snacks with me. There will possibly be a food court area. The larger shows like you to shop, eat and shop!!
:)
Have fun!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:54 PM

I'm surprised Fabric Shack in Waynesville isn't selling tickets...Lebanon is such a cool antique town - you could spend all day there! I definitely understand attending that for several days.

Enjoy!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:55 PM

This is the International Show? If so, it's a new site so I'm not sure - it moved to Cinci from Chicago (much to my dismay). The one in Chicago had tons of vendors and I can't imagine that the bulk of them didn't follow the show. Most machine vendors were there, and I know for a fact Janome will be there because my LQS runs the Janome booth (say hello to Chris for me!). And yes - you could try the machines including the long arms. There were some vendors offering good deals, some were set at regular prices so do shop around. More than a few vendors with the weird and wonderful stuff we don't typically find in quilt stores like Japanese silk panels (still wish I had picked up a few of those!), bolts of silk and wool, ribbons and threads of all variety.

Enjoy!!