Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: need book ideas

need book ideas

I'm a begginning quilter. Someone recently asked about preferred magazine. I'd like input on which book or books do you think every quilter should have or would be a great go to book for learning new techniques etc.

Elenore burns has some great books for beginners. She goes through all of the steps and then a little more in the way of tips. I would start with her and work up. I still use a couple of her books as reference material. She is on line, so you could go over and check out her books that are available.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I started with a class that used an Alex Anderson book on beginning quilting. Elanor Burns are very good too.
    Carol in Michigan

Blog Entries
    I found the Eleanor Burns book to be easy to follow. The diagrams are very clear.
    Nancy in western NY

When I took a beginner's quilt class the book they had us buy and use for our first project was "Your First Quilt Book...or it should be". Great book, and I still refer to it all these years later.

It really depends on your area of interest, traditional, applique, paper piecing, modern, machine quilting, drafting or do you just want a good go to reference book for most things. My favorite reference is Better Homes and gardens complete guide to quilting. It is my go to book. I have lots of books. Most i get from amazon. I will go to joanns and flip through them to see if its what i want

Blog Entries
    I check them out at the library first to see if I really want to own them.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    It really depends on your area of interest, traditional, applique, paper piecing, modern, machine quilting, drafting or do you just want a good go to reference book for most things. My favorite reference is Better Homes and gardens complete guide to quilting. It is my go to book. I have lots of books. Most i get from amazon. I will go to joanns and flip through them to see if its what i want
    I agree with Better Homes & Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting. It's my overall go-to book when I want to know how to do something. I have several dozen others with specific patterns or techniques but Complete Guide is the one I use the most.

I too, love Eleanor Burns. Her techniques make it so easy.

Eleanor Burns is the best for beginners and you can watch her videos for free at her website.
    http://quiltinaday.com
    Go to the button for television and video.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast