Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need cheering up...seam ripper here we go....

Senior Member Blue's quilting mama's Avatar

Need cheering up...seam ripper here we go....

Today has been frustrating! I worked really hard to finish quilting the queen quilt for our niece's wedding. The middle was really intensive....but I finished that part. Then, started around the 5 borders, SITD. Wow, there are puckers all along the stitching. And, the top and back don't match up anymore! There is one corner of the top that sticks past the back......Now, I am going to have to rip out all the border stitching, because I cannot give that to anyone!!! We are leaving for Oregon tomorrow, because my dear mother in law died this morning. Was hoping to take the completed quilt...will have to take it and the seam ripper. Or, will leave it home, and redo everything when we get home... thanks for letting me vent! My DH says it is ok, nobody looks at the edges...but it is too awful.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 

Oh I am so sorry for your loss and for your quilt issue.. You are right - that is very noticeable. Maybe you should leave it at home and concentrate on family matters. It will be there later.

Blog Entries
    I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I just went through a month and half of nightmare quilting for different reasons but the same sinking feeling of failure. Rip it out, rest a while and then seek to find a new way to go about it. SITD is easier by hand with a better result in my personal experience. Even if you have to do it one stitch at a time, it goes pretty quickly. Perhaps you can do that in places to help hold the layers evenly when you go back to do the stitching with your machine. Also, if you aren't using one, a walking foot can help immensely when doing long rows of sewing so the fabric layers move over the feed dogs evenly instead of pulling the bottom through faster than the top layers. Best wishes!
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

Blog Entries
    I also think you should just tend to your family during this time of loss and worry about the quilt when you get back. You have enough on your plate just now.

Power Poster
    It sounds like the center was quilted a lot? Sometimes that can pull up extra fabric and the borders in comparison are altered by how much fabric is pulled in. You might have to quilt the borders going out from the center quilting (like rays of the sun) to help compensate for the extra fabric. Tackle ripping out the SITD when you get back home. Just forget about it for now and deal with your family crisis.

So sorry for your loss. I would take it out a re-do. Probably best to deal with it when you get home. Take care!!!

You're under enough stress right now as it is...let that go until you get home and get re-settled in and it will probably go really well then. Sorry to hear of your loss.
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

So sorry for your family's loss. I agree - the quilt can wait till you and back!
    \