Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need color suggestions >

Need color suggestions

Need color suggestions

Old 07-16-2014, 10:58 AM

Default Need color suggestions

We are working on the "Wedge Star" quilt, using the tutorial posted by MSQC. It is for our nephew who is getting married in a few days. We wanted to do modern fabrics in yellow and grey, but we've had a hard time finding fabrics that will work together. If I add the fabric near the far left, it introduces orange into the quilt, so I thought maybe I could use a coordinating orange, but I don't love it. The squirrels and cats at the far right will be some personal blocks for them just thrown in for fun. The last pic is some other fabrics we have, but they seem juvenile compared to the more sophisticated fabrics in the first pic. So my question is, how do we proceed? Do we go shopping again? Use the new fabric and add some orange? We are out of most of the fabrics in the first pic, so using more of them isn't an option.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]483550[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]483551[/ATTACH]

Thanks,
Darren
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 07-16-2014, 11:37 AM

Could you try adding a little bit of black and white into the mix?

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 07-16-2014, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

I like all of the top photo selections except for the orange fabric. It's the pin dots that don't thrill me; I actually like the orange. I would use the fabrics in the top photo, but substitute the orange batik-like fabric in the bottom photo for the pin dot orange in the top photo. If you need an extra fabric, I would add in the middle gray flowers in the bottom photo.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:44 AM

If It was me I would go with a much, much softer orange to go with the cats and flowers that are next to the orange. The orange seems too bright to me. Then I would put a very small black border in to repeat the black. It looks to me on my computer that you could use3 or 4 of the bottom pieces too. Just my opinion.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:00 PM

I agree that the orange in the second picture is better than the pin dots but I would use it sparingly. Just a little for pop. I think a little pure black would also add some pop. Again, used sparingly.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:11 PM

I like all the top fabrics but would use very small pieces of either orange if you must. However I like the yellow with the raindrops on the bottom far right with the top fabrics and it has a little orange in it so would use it before either of the brighter oranges. I also like the center one in the bottom photo-the grey background with modern flowers---and think they would also be a great filler with the top fabrics. It will be beautiful. Oh I also agree with some black--it always adds drama to a quilt.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:32 PM

I would not use the orange but might use the grey, orange blue, bottom of the pile in second photo, and I might try the yellow raindrops too. they do add a bit of orange but maybe smaller amounts and a softer color
and I DO like the grey print flowers you added to pic #1
Old 07-16-2014, 12:41 PM

What pattern are you going to make. The pattern choice seems like it should help choose the colors. I actualy like the bottom color combo minus the orange.and the scallopy fabric Use the prints with most of the solids from the top pic. I do not like any orange fabric but think the pop of orange in the print fabric is enough.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:50 PM

I don't mind the orange (either one), I would also add the raindrops and the wavy and also some solid or tone on tone black. What color are you using for the star?
Old 07-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

I like the fabrics in the second photo better with some more not so loud tonals, maybe a dot print??