Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: need cute craft ideas for the holidays

need cute craft ideas for the holidays

Hi everyone,

I have been asked to possibly teach a demonstration or class to make some crafts for the holidays. I have been asked to keep it low cost, and I would like some ideas. I could do the 10 minute table runner, but I would also like some other ideas. If they can be free that would be great. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

hsquiltingmom

How about reusable sleeves for hot cups? I took a cardboard sleeve from Starbucks as a template, added a little "flange" to make it a full circle and used fabric and batting pieces out of my scrap bins for the whole project. Put it together inside out, flipped it out-side-out and topstitched around the edges a few times. It was a last second birthday gift for my husband (who does electronic music) so I found a decorative stitch that looked sort of like a sound wave and added that across the middle. Then sewed the flange down to the other side to make it a circle. Took me maybe an hour? And only used scraps, so it's environmentally friendly on two levels! He uses it almost every day. Hardest part was closing it up into a circle at the end (last step) - had to really squeeze it in there. But it worked out ok. Not bad for a seat-of-the-pants project!

I don't have a tutorial, but here's the finished product. I'm thinking this would go well with a Starbucks gift card to a couple people on my christmas list this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    how about using velcro on the tab, then its adjustable,
    someone w
    else on the3 board did these i9n bright cottons for a summer bash, it's a great idea to come up with

Join Pinterest. You'll see more cute Christmas crafts than you can do in a year!!

Mug rugs are fast too. Just a thought. You could do them in really fun fabrics. There is also luggage tags or those cute name tags that the girls are wearing on nice cords at the quilt shows (like a necklace).

A fabric or felted flower pin for your jacket would be pretty quick and easy to do. The hobby store sells the sew on pin backs in bulk.

Oh! pot holders would be a good one too. Or how about a pp ornament or gift box for the tree?
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 09-19-2012 at 07:58 AM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

coasters with snowmen, snowflake, stocking or Christmas tree applique would be fast and cute!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    I don't have a tutorial, but here's the finished product. I'm thinking this would go well with a Starbucks gift card to a couple people on my christmas list this year.
    this is a cute idea!
    Nancy in western NY

I love the Snappy bags, have made several as gifts. Takes about 30 minutes to do. Made with scraps or sometimes a theme fabric that fits the person.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    The purse size tissue holders seem popular as well, lots of members on the board do them, could probably find a tute on here from one of them if needed.
    Myrna

They say money does not buy happiness, but it buys fabric & fabric makes me happy!!

Love all your ideas. I have been looking for easy things to make for the TV Christmas program
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast