Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need to decide what pattern to use for a two tone..

I went shopping yesterday and found some gorgeous material.. I think it would make a great two tone quilt.. I need to decide what pattern to use.. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

oooooooooh what gorgeous shades!!!!!!!

There are so many beautiful 2 fabric blocks out there!!! I'll put my thinking cap on

I've learned this lesson fast: it depends on how big of project are you planning? An appropriate block needs to fit both scale and design wise. You don't want a block to get lost or overwhelm a quilt and true the two tones are of major consideration either way, but first things first. You can always scale a pattern to fit, but some are naturally inclined to a particular size. I mean you donít want to make a triple Irish and miss the pattern making a tiny quilt. You might also want something graphically strong since you are working with only two colors.

I'm fairly new at this so I might be totally off on the observation.

I do want something graphically strong... Most of my quilts are king/queen size... However I am thinking more along the lines of couch throw size.. About 50x70...

Those fabrics are wonderful. Let us know what you decide.

I like colorful quilts with lots of contrast, so I will be waiting to hear what you decide, as well as soaking up others' suggestions for my own future reference.

HI Diamonds! What beautiful fabrics. Would you maybe consider throwing a soft cream fabric? Either way, with just two (or three) colors, your design load will have to be carried by the intricacy of the block rather than a mass of color.

A larger sized block which allows for a variety of components (large and small) would be the direction I'd go..with maybe a sashing thrown in and a wide border of one color (which would give you a chance to show off some fancy quilting patterns!!) good luck, and be sure to keep us posted.