Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need design help with baby quilt >

need design help with baby quilt

need design help with baby quilt

Old 01-10-2016, 08:30 AM

Default need design help with baby quilt

I'm trying to come up with a baby quilt for my niece. Her mom and sister are decorating the nursery for her as a (Christmas) gift, and I'm trying to match the "decor" that they have planned. They told me -- greys and white, pale green and light yellow. Somewhere there's a chevron. Sorry, but these colors don't really inspire me, especially for a baby, so I"m having a bit of trouble. I saw a neat pattern with dresden plates made with stripes or chevrons in every-other spoke, so I made some of those, and then I created a background to put them on, but ... just don't think it's very interesting. What do you think -- here is the background with first one set of the "flowers", and then a second set. THe first one mostly matches their scheme ... the second one doesn't. I'm not wild about either one. Any suggestions of what I could do to make it pop? I would do a lot of "modern" quilting in the solid parts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539857[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539858[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1159.jpg   img_1164.jpg  
Old 01-10-2016, 08:32 AM

I think that the pattern is adorable and you can't go wrong with it. Maybe you are overthinking it?? Looks really good from where I'm sitting.

8^)
Old 01-10-2016, 08:33 AM

I think it looks good too.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:48 AM

I like it! You have a lot of colour variety and the pretty 'flower' dresdens are fun and whimsical!

Good design! It is something that will stay in style and "grow" with the baby as they get older.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:06 AM

I think the first one is adorable & would look really cute either with overquilting in matching threads or even with big stitch quilting in a dark navy. I don't really think it needs anything more, but if you wanted you could either couch teal fiber circle around the dresdens or else maybe use some 28wt teal thread to quilt the grey sections.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:18 AM

I see some pretty great fussy cutting there. I like both of them. Today's baby rooms are a lot more colourful than in days past. And if the quilt is large enough, it can go to toddler stage and will be perfect then too on the next bed.
Good luck with the rest of it.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:26 AM

I really like this design for a baby quilt and think the first one is more controlled while the second is more exuberant. I think the first will go better given the colors you mentioned. You could quilt it with leaves and plants, maybe a butterfly or dragonfly thrown in; With green thread for the plants and the yellow for the insects.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:40 AM

I think they are adorable as is and after you put them all together in the same quilt there will be plenty of pop! What about making all red centers as a unifying item and then bind in red. They would all pop with red (and you already have that going in some). Lovely, and very sweet of you!
Old 01-10-2016, 09:57 AM

These are as cute as can be. I think you are only having trouble because the colors aren't some that actually inspire you...but these are just cute! It is going to be a great quilt.

Dina
Old 01-10-2016, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

i really like what you've done so far. i think it's the grays that are bringing it down. maybe you could add circles or butterflies in your brighter colors